Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single parent going back to college

Options
  • 01-07-2015 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi new to this and hoping someone out der is in similar situation. Currently work 19.5 hours a week to receive fis and part Opfp and no rent allowance. Was hoping to go back to college to kick start a suitable career so dat in not dependant on d social forever have a 4year old and one year old and would prefer to have a decent career so dat I can provide for dem myself. Jus wondering would much change financially by going back to college as things r tight at d min but life is manageable pay rent of 150 a week which my wages from work cover r der any entitlements dat would keep my money situation more or less as is to enable me to give up work and study have tried night course but juggling work kids and college on my own is proving too difficult at d moment would appreciate any help anyone can offer or a rough figure of what I might be able to get

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

jessyboo08 wrote: »
    Hi new to this and hoping someone out der is in similar situation. Currently work 19.5 hours a week to receive fis and part Opfp and no rent allowance. Was hoping to go back to college to kick start a suitable career so dat in not dependant on d social forever have a 4year old and one year old and would prefer to have a decent career so dat I can provide for dem myself. Jus wondering would much change financially by going back to college as things r tight at d min but life is manageable pay rent of 150 a week which my wages from work cover r der any entitlements dat would keep my money situation more or less as is to enable me to give up work and study have tried night course but juggling work kids and college on my own is proving too difficult at d moment would appreciate any help anyone can offer or a rough figure of what I might be able to get

If you give up work to go to college, you will lose your FIS.

The special rate grant would just about be equal to your 150 per week if the college you attended was over 45km from your house.
    Therefore, you would be a lot worse off financially but you must weigh this up against what you want in the future. Can you work Part-time, attend college and still look after your children. That would be a tough ask for a mother. You will still be allowed to keep your OPF payments in line with the DSP rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jessyboo08

Sup08 wrote: »
    If you give up work to go to college, you will lose your FIS.

The special rate grant would just about be equal to your 150 per week if the college you attended was over 45km from your house.
    Therefore, you would be a lot worse off financially but you must weigh this up against what you want in the future. Can you work Part-time, attend college and still look after your children. That would be a tough ask for a mother. You will still be allowed to keep your OPF payments in line with the DSP rules.

Thanks kinda figured I would be worse off have tried night course but because my small one is so young and a difficult sleeper it jus meant life at home suffered and started running myself into d ground trying to keep everything going and concentrate on college was hoping dat I could do jus college but looks like part time work d only answer to helping out while studying as I only live bout 2miles from d college so would get even less money and people say single parents have it easy lol thanks again for reply xx

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

OP have you considered an online course? One that you could do from home essentially in the evenings?

http://www.cmit.ie/

http://coursesdirectonline.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jessyboo08

Ya was doing an evening course one year down of two but was surviving on no sleep wit a difficult baby while trying to work and rare d kids as well it affected me and our lives too much. Was jus hoping I could do one r d other but dat doesn't look obtainable money wise right now

Advertisement