Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coding Music

Options
  • 01-07-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭

What do y'all listen to, if anything, when coding?

Do you listen with headphones or on a speaker? And does the music depend on the type of job you're doing?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Headphones, always.

Music varies, from Dean Martin to Metallica. It tends more towards the rock end of the spectrum, with a concentration on Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Rainbow at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Headphones: 80s, Folk & Wagner/classical + a smiggon of aowt else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Headphones: Anything from house music to laid back dance music to heavy metal to the dixie chicks. Depends on the job in hand, but sometimes I turn it off altogether since my office isn't that noisy

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Headphones: generally electronica but listen to anything as long as the lyrics don't distract me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Prefer headphone myself. It allows, on occasion to minimize distractions. On saying that, I'll listen to AC/DC, Guns and Roses, RATM and a few other Rock/Metal bands while coding. Any other work like System Admin, I might just listen to an online radio station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Headphones always, Kygo, Tiesto or anything along these lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Always headphones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Generally nothing. I find listening to music too distracting as I start paying too much attention to the music's composition instead of what I should be doing!!!

One place I worked, in a big open plan office, at christmas time the head of IT would play christmas songs out loud from his computer. Everyone hated it but no one could say anything. Times like that I reached for the headphones and listened to the radio.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I tend to listen to electronic - Carbon Based Lifeforms, Global Communication etc, post-rock like Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You and sometimes when it's noisy and I just really need to concentrate I'll put on rainymood. A 10 hour loop of a thunderstorm.

Edit: Always with headphones. Preferably noise cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

Only when on auto pilot. Too distracting when serious thought is required. From bakermat currently everyday this week to brmc week before. Anything really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Headphones, usually OST's from Han Zimmer. That and the Social Network OST (don't knock it it's great).

Also usually headphones act like a subtle FRO to people, don't bother me unless it's absolutely necessary and everything around me is on fire and I haven't noticed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

If I'm feeling energetic I'll keep it mellow with some Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd etc. If I need to wake up and be motivated it will be a little more metal like Avenged Sevenfold or System of a Down. Mostly on headphones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Do any of you use noise cancelling headphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Wouldn't listen to music most of the time at work but minimal/vocal-less house and techno and especially ambient music like Brian Eno lends a lot more nicely to coding compared to other genres. Rock and metal are way too distracting for more complex tasks but they would be my favourite kind of music so I like to have them on whenever the brain is on autopilot as someone mentioned above.

I remember doing a coding test before to one of Nightmares on Wax's albums. The chilled soulful groove was a nice companion to the intense concentration.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

earphones when I'm in the zone, otherwise nothing. Just whatever songs I have in my list on spotify, it;s quite eclectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Big noise cancelling headphones for me, listen to all kinds of indie, rock, metal and even movie soundtracks depending on how things a re going.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Interesting to see varying types, even music that I wouldn't think easy to code with, nice one.

Have been thinking about noise cancelling headphones, may invest in a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Always with headphones.

Usually ambient/drone music like Stars of the Lid and Eluvium or post-rock such as Mogwai and This Will Destroy You, or classical when I need to concentrate. Music with lyrics is too distracting unless the task is simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ThrowinShapes

If I'm working on a project, then it's headphones. Otherwise I'd be taking them out every few minutes for smaller things.

At the moment I'd listen to Joe Satriani, Tycho, Cloudkicker, and some Aesop Rock instrumental albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Mainly use headphones because I work in a pretty busy lab and it helps drown out some of the louder voices in it. In terms of music it depends, this week alone so far i've listed to a chillstep mix, pop punk compilation, right now listening to saint raymond, had a day last week where I went on a blink 182 buzz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Big noise cancelling headphones for me, listen to all kinds of indie, rock, metal and even movie soundtracks depending on how things a re going.

What ones do you have, would you recommend them?

Anyone else recommend a pair of noise cancelling?

Decos wrote: »
    What ones do you have, would you recommend them?

Anyone else recommend a pair of noise cancelling?

I can't recommend the Bose QuietComfort series enough. The noise cancelling is very good and they're incredibly comfortable. Can wear them all day no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Headphones, usually OST's from Han Zimmer.
    Soundtracks/film scores are my go to. You get the music but don't have any lyrics to be distracted to. I have a Hans Zimmer mix and that adds an epic soundtrack to my day.

Hrududu wrote: »
    Soundtracks/film scores are my go to. You get the music but don't have any lyrics to be distracted to. I have a Hans Zimmer mix and that adds an epic soundtrack to my day.

OST's are good, but it's the lack of lyrics that makes stuff like post-rock, electronic, ambient etc great too. Another poster mentioned Cloudkicker too. Epic

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The development process in a nutshell :pac:

Earphones in, full volume, noise cancelling :)

Advertisement