Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of pay..

Options
  • 01-07-2015 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Posting this after a recent conversation with a friend.. not sure where he stands.

A friend of mine was working in hospitality 3 years ago and started off on one rate of pay. He left said job just after the first year due to family commitments and issues with the head supervisor - issues which sounded very similar to work place bullying.

A few months later, he was approached to come back to work to cover another supervisor who was going travelling. He was never made supervisor when he returned, however he has noticed recently that he's on a lower pay rate than he was in the beginning. Only became very noticable when hours went up.

I found it strange that his work circumstances changed, and was wondering if employers are able to re-employ staff at a lower pay rate? No contract was offered & when mentioned by my friend it was shrugged off by employer. Where does he stand in relation to work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Posting this after a recent conversation with a friend.. not sure where he stands.

A friend of mine was working in hospitality 3 years ago and started off on one rate of pay. He left said job just after the first year due to family commitments and issues with the head supervisor - issues which sounded very similar to work place bullying.

A few months later, he was approached to come back to work to cover another supervisor who was going travelling. He was never made supervisor when he returned, however he has noticed recently that he's on a lower pay rate than he was in the beginning. Only became very noticable when hours went up.

I found it strange that his work circumstances changed, and was wondering if employers are able to re-employ staff at a lower pay rate? No contract was offered & when mentioned by my friend it was shrugged off by employer. Where does he stand in relation to work?

So he left a job then went back to work for them but this time the wage is lower than before he quit, and you/he wants to know where he stands? He "stands" with a job on a lower wage than before he quit and if he was bullied, why on earth would he have gone back? Of course an employer can re-employ an employee but the employee is not entitled to the same wage she/he was on initially nor indeed the same position/benefits associated with length of service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

davo10 wrote: »
    So he left a job then went back to work for them but this time the wage is lower than before he quit, and you/he wants to know where he stands? He "stands" with a job on a lower wage than before he quit and if he was bullied, why on earth would he have gone back? Of course an employer can re-employ an employee but the employee is not entitled to the same wage she/he was on initially nor indeed the same position/benefits associated with length of service.

The query was regarding the rate of pay. Cheers for the blunt reply. I don't know his reasonings, but to me it sounded odd that his wages had dropped, so I thought I'd ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

The query was regarding the rate of pay. Cheers for the blunt reply. I don't know his reasonings, but to me it sounded odd that his wages had dropped, so I thought I'd ask.

Does he get a payslip ? Has his tax gone up? I dont know if he is telling you his net pay or gross pay is lower. He should have a payslip every week/month when he is paid detailing gross pay, deductions and net pay. How can an adult be unaware of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

BabySlam wrote: »
    Does he get a payslip ? Has his tax gone up? I dont know if he is telling you his net pay or gross pay is lower. He should have a payslip every week/month when he is paid detailing gross pay, deductions and net pay. How can an adult be unaware of this?

Gets payslip. Seemingly his patio before tax is about 30 cent or so below what it should be. He had thought it was off but wasn't 100% sure, it's only in the last few weeks that he's moved full time and it's become very noticable apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 25,690 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Maybe he's on Emergency Tax? Did he tell Revenue that he's left the last job and back at this one again?

If someone has several jobs in a year, or overlapping part time ones, then just handing in a P45 sometimes isn't enough because Revenue don't know how to allocate tax-credits. You have to call them and let them know the story.

Also - does his payslip have an hourly rate on it? Probably best to be comparing this, rather than the final figure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement