Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous drivers

Options
  • 01-07-2015 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

We are going to Spain at the weekend (me, husband and 3 kids). My husband lost his licence months ago and forgot to replace it (gggrrr!) I am a nervous driver as only got my full licence recently. Any other nervous drivers out there who drove in Spain? How did you find it? Am panicking thinking of having to drive on the opposite side of road and roundabouts etc. We can't really manage without a car as we are in the middle of nowhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

sarahv wrote: »
    We are going to Spain at the weekend (me, husband and 3 kids). My husband lost his licence months ago and forgot to replace it (gggrrr!) I am a nervous driver as only got my full licence recently. Any other nervous drivers out there who drove in Spain? How did you find it? Am panicking thinking of having to drive on the opposite side of road and roundabouts etc. We can't really manage without a car as we are in the middle of nowhere

I presume you're fly driving?
    Firstly, get comfortable in the car and if possible, spin around the car park / area of the car rental area first.
    The first real daunting bits are roundabouts and junctions... but you'll be amazed how quickly you adapt over after the first one or two.
    GPS with lane guidance is very handy and reassuring also.
    Take your time and let people over take / beep all they want!

If you miss a turn, don't panic!! Enjoy the drive and take the next turn.

You'll probably end up enjoying it a lot! I love driving abroad. It forms part of the trip.
    Bon voyage! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

OP, you may want to check with your car hire firm before you depart as most, if not all firms, require you to have held a full licence for over one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Yup, you in almost all cases need a license for at least 1 year, sometimes 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Yes, the one we use you have to have your full license two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Rent an automatic, it will give you more concentration on the road without needing to worry about gears.

How nervous of a driver are you? If for instance you wouldn't be confident driving on the M50, driving Dublin to Galway or driving in a city centre I would forget about driving in Spain as they can drive like lunatics and if your unsure of yourself it will be dangerous.

Advertisement