Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genetics postgrads.

Options
  • 30-06-2015 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys!

Looking for some advice or prior experience.
    Going to go back to college, i'd love to study genetics in ucc but unfortunately I haven't the funds atm to re locate and pay my fees.

If i did science in nuig,although it doesn't cover a genetics option. What would be the best option to enable me to apply to msc's in genetics field?

With a degree in microbiology or maybe biochemistry would you be able to go on to postgrad studies in genetics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's pretty rare that you're severely limited by your undergrad as to what you can do at postgrad level. Entry requirements for Masters degrees vary from course to course, but this is an example of a common MSc entry requirement within the health science/biology field. In no way do you need to study genetics at undergrad level to do it as a postgrad. People change fields all the time.
    Successful applicants will have at least a Second Class Honours degree in an appropriate biological science, life science, medicine or nursing. Students who have a degree without Honours in a related area and have three or more years of practical experience in the subject area will also be eligible to apply.

With both microbiology or biochemistry you'd have no problem getting into a genetics postgrad. However, I'd urge you to think about what area of genetics you want to get into. There's a vast array of other subjects that may also suit.
    Honours Course Honours Degrees are available in:
    Anatomy, Applied Mathematics, Applied Mathematics and Physics, Applied Physics, Biochemistry, Botany, Chemistry, Computational Science, Earth and Ocean Sciences, Physics, Mathematics, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Physiology, Zoology.

Advertisement