Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genetics through Science.

Options
  • 30-06-2015 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys!

Looking for some advice or prior experience.
    Going to go back to college, i'd love to study genetics in ucc but unfortunately I haven't the funds atm to re locate and pay my fees.

If i did science in nuig,although it doesn't cover a genetics option. What side of science available here would enable me best to apply to msc's of genetics?

With a degree in microbiology or maybe biochemistry would you be able to go on to postgrad studies in genetics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tigergirl

I don't know about transferring after/during your degree but I can shed some light on where genetics fits in NUIG Science courses.

If you want to do general science, there is a little bit of genetics in 2nd year Microbiology and possibly 3rd year (I dropped Microbiology after 2nd year). In Biochemistry, they touch on genetics in 2nd year but in 3rd year there is an entire module in second semester called Human Molecular Genetics and one third of 3rd year material is genetics based. As for final year, again I think a third to maybe half of the course is genetics material (this is just a guess judging from my friends, I'll find out if it's true in a few months!)

Having said all that, Biotechnology encompases all that and more (French/German, business, pharmacology). You continue Microbiology and Biochemistry into 4th year and do bits of each for your degree where as with General Science you only do one subject. I don't know about the genetics aspect, I think some modules are similar but I would double check.

Hope some part of that helps!

Advertisement