Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An offline MAPS?!

Options
  • 30-06-2015 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to download in advance a street view map , say for getting from bus station to hotel etc, in other cities and countries? Rather than relying on data and extortionate roaming costs? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

You mean a street map like Google Maps, onto your phone?

Yes, if you view the map in sufficient detail just before you set off, it should be cached so that it will continue to display. Also, the GPS navigation will continue to work so you can navigate as you walk through the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Bring up the city you want to save onto your device within google maps and then type "ok maps" into the search bar and this will save the map locally onto your device. GPS and street names will all show up but specific places of interest generally won't so it's a good idea to "star" all the places you plan on visiting (pubs/attractions/restaurants etc) including your accommodation etc and these will all be viewable offline.

An alternative is to download the tripadvisor guide app for the city you're visiting (obviously not all cities have an app but any i've visited have) and that will save the map and all available data that TA have on the city onto your phone. It's handy but not as reliable as google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

I use the HERE map app (from Nokia) on my Android Moto-E, have full maps of all countries, I need, on my phone

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Maps.me - I used it in London & in Sicily. I was recommended it for London initially. After you download the app it's up to you what country or countries you want to download to it. There's additional sat nav function if you want to download that too for whatever country/countries.
    Basically you only download the country you need it for as it uses up space on your phone. It's easy to pare it back if you've downloaded too much.
    It's the only maps app that I know of that shows where petrol stations are - verrrry handy if you've a hire car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Thanks all. Did NOT know that about viewing it in detail before I went. Thanks a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

http://osmand.net/

Works great , just download the maps before you go or when on Wifi :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Is it possible to download in advance a street view map , say for getting from bus station to hotel etc, in other cities and countries? Rather than relying on data and extortionate roaming costs? Thanks
    Old-fashioned solution, but I tend to print off stuff like that before I go places.

Search directions from train station to hotel on Google Maps, select walking, and print the route it suggests. Best to zoom in to ensure you have individual street names - this may mean having to print three pages.

As I say, old-fashioned, but it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Navfree or Navmii as i think its now called. Free satnav app that works on gps.

Download the app and then add the country map you need when at home, search all the places you need to go, hotels, stations, places youre visiting etc, beforehand and add them as favourites.
    When youre there select the favourite you added and it will use GPS to map directions to it without any connection needed.

Used it in a few countries, easiest option ive found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Offline Google maps is not available in all countries, Spain oddly being one of them.
    https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/2650347?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Offline Google maps is not available in all countries, Spain oddly being one of them.
    https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/2650347?hl=en
    as mentioned above "HERE", formerly nokia maps, is now available for free and offers downloadable maps for free.

but to be honest, for walking from a station to neaby hotel, printing out some maps in advance off the web is no harm as you also are getting to know the area a little by seeing a map on a decent size screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ah yeah, I know. But just in case some people can't figure out what the deal is with Google maps .

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

+1 on Here maps. Handy when your heading to a different country on holidays or whatever. Download the map of the country you are going to before ya go. OVI maps was the original name, they are extremely accurate and is used by a good few GPS companies like Garmin I believe.

Advertisement