Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a job interview at least??

Options
  • 30-06-2015 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi
    I'm hoping ye can help me out. I'm currently in a part-time retail position. Iv just completed an administration course with an overall distinction. Iv applied to every possible administration position that has been advertised. Iv even applied to companies that haven't even advertised, in the hopes of a good outcome. I haven't even got a call for an interview?? I know I don't have experience but I won't get it untill someone takes me on!! Any ideas how I could get experience?? Or even an interview??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Sign up to a temp agency (or multiple agencies). It'll get you some experience and a temp contract can often turn into a long term job

• Registered Users Posts: 19 207black

Where are you based??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sue27...

207black wrote: »
    Where are you based??

Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭lickme

Unfortunately theirs people with computer science degrees, business degrees and people with experience also going for these jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

sue27... wrote: »
    Hi
    Iv even applied to companies that haven't even advertised, in the hopes of a good outcome. I haven't even got a call for an interview??

Be creative on your CV, not saying you should lie, but you should be creative. And read up on how to create a CV that gets noticed. If you're not even getting interviews or callbacks there is something wrong with your CV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

My sister is in a similar position at the moment and my advise to her was to get someone unbiased to review her cv and suggest changes. The structure and content may seem good to you, but you may need an opinion from someone a little removed from you. If you are tweaking it here and there when applying for jobs, it may start to get a little confused.

Last time I was hiring I was astounded by how many cvs were stressing the candidate to be "honest and hard-working". I would have thought those were pre-requisites, not something to highlight.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

get someone unbiased to review her cv and suggest changes. The structure and content may seem good to you, but you may need an opinion from someone a little removed from you.

Definitely your first step. Get someone who knows what it's all about to review your CV, not your mates!

Thank you for the feed bk. Going to get my cv looked at straight away. I was thinking maybe it is my cv but anything I have looked at online my cv is similar to. Going to get a man in the know to have a look. Thanks everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

Thank you for the feed bk. Going to get my cv looked at straight away. I was thinking maybe it is my cv but anything I have looked at online my cv is similar to. Going to get a man in the know to have a look. Thanks everyone :)

Well, there you have it.. It should be _your_ CV not the same CV you see all over the internet..

lickme wrote: »
    Unfortunately theirs people with computer science degrees, business degrees and people with experience also going for these jobs.

I do understand this,but just because I don't have a degree or experience doesn't mean I can't do the as good as anyone else.

• Advertisement

lickme wrote: »

I do understand this,but just because I don't have a degree or experience doesn't mean I can't do the as good as anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭lickme

Yes but these people will get in ahead, just say they recieve 100 c.vs for a job, they have to narrow it down and might interview 5 or 6. Maybe have a look at springboard.

Advertisement