Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

susi - evidence of independent residency

Options
  • 30-06-2015 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm applying for the fee part if grant as a mature student. I sent in all my documentation requested. Today I recieved a letter from them saying I don't satisfy the evidence of independent residency bit. I live with a friend and pay him cash each week for rent. There is no lease or anything like that. My friend wrote a letter saying I pay so much rent. This doesn't seem to be satisfactory.
    I am going to call them tomorrow but does anybody have any advice around this? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kaz.15

Hi Suzicat,

Same thing happened to me! I was told that you need documents such as bills or rent etc in your name. Otherwise you have to withdraw your application and apply as a dependant mature applicant under your parents/ guardians. Such a ridiculous system... they make it impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

Is your friend the owner-occupier and/or is the annual rental income under 10k? Because if this isn't the case, the tenancy should be registered with the PRTB. If it were registered then PRTB can issue a letter confirming the tenancy which should satisfy SUSI's requirements.

http://www.prtb.ie/tenants/is-my-tenancy-registered-

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Deeluu

Have you ever paid the TV license in your name or do you have your car insured at that address? I was able to use my car insurance policy cert to satisfy this criteria. Anything official with your name and address on it should suffice. It doesn't have to be a utility bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Generally they'll accept social welfare documentation or Revenue correspondence from the relevant assessable income year. If this doesn't go to your current address you can see where they're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Documents for independent residence must be associated with the actual property.

For example:
    A Mortgage Statement for the property
    Local Property Tax
    Rent Allowance
    PRTB registration/Contract
    or any fixed utility bill (Water/Gas/Landline Phone/Electricity)

other documents maybe accepted but generally these must show longer history of living independently at this address.

Documents that may not accepted as they are generally not associated with a fixed address and can be changed to be sent to any address with a phone call.

For Example:
    Mobile phone bills
    Savings/Current Account bank statements
    Letters from the owner/landlord
    Car-Tax/Insurance Certificates.
    Revenue correspondence associated with employment.

This is only an example and the documents that must be provided by the applicant and in the end, they must satisfy the awarding authority. Therefore this would not be an exhaustive list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 mariemoon

suzycat wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm applying for the fee part if grant as a mature student. I sent in all my documentation requested. Today I recieved a letter from them saying I don't satisfy the evidence of independent residency bit. I live with a friend and pay him cash each week for rent. There is no lease or anything like that. My friend wrote a letter saying I pay so much rent. This doesn't seem to be satisfactory.
    I am going to call them tomorrow but does anybody have any advice around this? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I had the same problem. Because I've just moved I didn't have anything for my new address, so they said it was fine, to send a prove of my old address, hope it helps.

Advertisement