Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Journalism/Media Work Placement

• 30-06-2015 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I'm doing my work placement for college next semester and I was wondering what are some of the best places to do it. I'm studying New Media and English and I want to be a journalist and/or work in the media.
    I think that I would prefer to go into print journalism once I graduate but I already have print journalism experience so I'm thinking that radio/broadcast journalism might be better for me to do.
    If I do go into print journalism I think that Hot Press would be ideal for me. I also have contacts in RTÉ but I know that they generally don't provide internships or college work placements so I don't know if that will work out.
    I live in Limerick but I don't mind moving for a few months to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I don't see a single question in your above post...you're going to make an amazing journalist!!!

What is it you want to know? The best places to do it are places that offer internships for cadets. As a journalist you should use your research skills to find out where those are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SophieLouise

Batgurl wrote: »
    I don't see a single question in your above post...you're going to make an amazing journalist!!!

What is it you want to know? The best places to do it are places that offer internships for cadets. As a journalist you should use your research skills to find out where those are.

Well this is part of my research and I was hoping that there would be other people who could share their experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

My experience?

Print is dead. Radio is not far behind.

A large portion of media grads do not end up working in the media. The ones that do have the drive and ambition to know what they want and fight tooth and nail for it. They don't wonder what they should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeah the above poster is right.

Media students are getting more into research now for TV from people I know anyway with TG4. Contact TV3 or Nemeton TV (TG4) and see can you shadow a researcher or something? Could get into presenting in the future then.

Print readerships have drastically gone down to the point of many advertisers not bothering with it at all anymore.

Advertisement