Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Megane timing belt

Options
  • 30-06-2015 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi. Have 110000km on my megane so rang around for qoutes to main renault dealers in dublin. Michael Grant: 499 Chapelizod: 499 Tallaght: 599 Finglas: 450. Why such a difference in prices?

I mentioned that I need the car serviced and need new 4 tyres on 16"alloys.
    Basic service was 149 and tyres 90 each.
    They said they woudnt be able to do any deals if I got it all done together.

Any ideas where I could get all this done for a better price?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Decent independent mechanic would be cheaper

Tires would be cheaper through one of the numerous tire fitting places, or so I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 chimpdoctor

Thanks, will have a ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Without knowing the breakdown of what each garage is charging you for then it's hard to judge which one is offering the best value for money. One garage could be pricing cheap ditch finder tyres while another could be pricing premium tyres. Equally one garage may be charging you for a timing belt + water pump while the other for a timing belt only.

Personally I think you would be better off buying the tyres from a tyre centre as the majority of garages don't sell tyres so will probably put their margin on whatever price they buy them from locally. So best to cut out the middle man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

What year is your Megane and which engine is in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 chimpdoctor

2007 1.6 petrol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

2007 1.6 petrol

Bit late for the belt (unless it's your 2nd) according to Renault it needs to be done @100K.km or 5 years, whichever comes first...
    Would never get tires done at brand dealer either, much better deals around. Service depends on age and if you prefer to have a dealer stamp. Funny enough in the end I went with the Renault dealer for the belt (not much saving elsewhere and at least sure would be Renault parts and dealer stamp). Picked up car and no stamp or sticker under the bonnet. Really not used to this kind of car maintenance, dealer said people don't ask for stamps for belt... Btw Changed the belt @35K km (and 6 years) thought I was pushing it, don't trust renaults though...

Advertisement