Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At least 116 dead as military plane crashes into major Indonesian city

Options
  • 30-06-2015 4:46pm

At least 116 people are feared dead after an Indonesian air force transport plane crashed Tuesday into a major city shortly after take-off and exploded in a fireball, officials said.

Buildings were left in ruins and cars reduced to flaming wrecks when the Hercules C-130 came down in a residential area of Medan, a city of two million on the island of Sumatra.

Source: http://jakarta.coconuts.co/2015/06/30/least-116-feared-dead-indonesia-military-plane-crash

The 116 dead are being based on how many were on the plane. I'm sure there could be more dead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The plane according to that article was 51 years old. I know nothing about aviation but surely it should have been retired from active service decades ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Indonesia hey? Largest muslim country in the world . ISIS gonna claim it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Firstly, RIP to the victims. Any word whether this is an accident of another horrible attack?
    The plane according to that article was 51 years old. I know nothing about aviation but surely it should have been retired from active service decades ago

Not necessarily. Once the plane has been serviced in accordance with the rules and regs then it is good to go. I fly privately and many of the planes I fly are decades old and in very good working order. Not sure how strictly the regulations are implemented in that part of the world though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Jesus thats shocking

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Christ :( RIP to the poor victims.

I really hope this was a tragic accident and nothing more sinister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

As far as I know (which isnt that much on this topic in fairness) planes this age are common enough. Or at least thats what I saw someone from the A&A forum say to someone who asked a similar question after another plane accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They should be grand as long as they're serviced.

I tried to find out what the fuselage is made out of, if it's aluminium it shouldn't suffer from rust but I'm guessing it might be steel as it's a military craft.

The shape of the plane hasn't changed all that much over the years so new parts could probably be retrofitted to older planes, so even though parts of the plane are fifty years old, the parts that matter might be fairly new.

Advertisement