Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts about miscarriage

Options
  • 30-06-2015 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I hoped to ask advice. Often when I am told about a person being pregnant, particularly early in to the pregnancy, I find myself having the thought that they could have a miscarriage. Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, it is common for people to have such thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is it normal to miscarry, or normal to have these thoughts? If there is going to be a miscarriage it is likely to be in the early months, one of the reasons why women used not say anything about pregnancy until after the 3rd month.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ponderousanon

Normal to have the thoughts. I always have it when I hear this good news and find it very strange that I would think this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a bit pessimistic I suppose, but really the outcome of pregnancy is not certain until it is fulfilled, and certainly not in the very early months. As I said, women used be much more cautious about announcing they were pregnant at least until the first 3 months were over, so maybe you have some sort of subconscious memory of an adult expressing this idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

looksee wrote: »
    Its a bit pessimistic I suppose, but really the outcome of pregnancy is not certain until it is fulfilled, and certainly not in the very early months. As I said, women used be much more cautious about announcing they were pregnant at least until the first 3 months were over . . .
    Used be? Many still are.

About 15% of recognised pregnancies end in miscarriage, and two-thirds of these happen in the first trimester. What this comes down to is that one in ten women who know they are pregnant will lose the pregnancy in the first three months. This is not an unusual occurrence at all.

People deal with this in various ways, including not really thinking about miscarriage unless and until they have to (because it happens, or seems to threaten imminently), or not really allowing themselves to think beyond the early pregnance to the point of live birth, in case that doesn't happen. Not telling people about the pregnancy in the first three months unless for some reason they need to know is a fairly common practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 ponderousanon

Thanks everyone. I guess I know how common miscarriages can be but feel bad that my thoughts automatically goes to thinking such an awful thing

Advertisement