Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop does not see Android Box

Options
  • 30-06-2015 5:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Guys/Girls,

I would be grateful if anyone can advise how I can get my laptop to see my Android box.

The Android box and the laptop are on the same network.

Regards
    Tagged:

Comments

Can you ping the Android box from the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

I actually do not know how to do that.

I presume I must run the cmd prompt and then do something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

can you find the IP Address of the Android Box? When you do open cmd then type
    ping 192.168.xxx.xxx

and post the results

ping 192.168.xxx.xxx

and post the results

Thanks, will do it when I get home.

Yes, I think I find it no bother when I use Fing on my phone.

ping 192.168.xxx.xxx

and post the results

The results are:

Pinging 192.168.11.8 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.11.8: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.11.8: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.11.8: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.11.8: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.11.8:

Packets: sent=4, received = 4, Lost=0 (0% Loss)
    Approx. round trip time in Milli-seconds
    Minimum = 5ms, Max = 12ms, Average = 7ms

• Advertisement

so your laptop CAN see the box then, it should display when you click into Network, does it not?

so your laptop CAN see the box then, it should display when you click into Network, does it not?

No, it does not display when I click into Network.

Although other devices are visible under network, eg NAS Drive, LG TV, Plex Media Server.

Running windows 8.1 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

What exactly are you trying to do ?

Ste- wrote: »
    What exactly are you trying to do ?

I just think that I should be able to see the android box from my computer.

If that is possible, I would then see about copying and pasting things from my laptop to the micro sd card in the box and also I would like to be able to stream from my laptop to the box.

If I'm thinking right you would need to set up some form of file sharing on teh box in order to see it through explorer/network.
    Try setting up a a file serving server on the box.

• Advertisement

Actually, I'm at home now.

I can't see my laptop from my Android box, nor vice versa.

Set up file sharing on your laptop then use es file explorer to view your laptop folders on android. Not sure about the other way. Try airdroid or similar. I usually set up an ftp server using servers ultimate.

Ste- wrote: »
    Set up file sharing on your laptop then use es file explorer to view your laptop folders on android. Not sure about the other way. Try airdroid or similar. I usually set up an ftp server using servers ultimate.

Ah ok, sounds like it is not possible then to see the box on a laptop.

What about on a TV and I don't mean by switching to it on the TV the way you would with perhaps a DVD player. I mean like my TV automatically sees my Laptop and NAS Drive as attached devices but does not see the Android box?

Actually, I'm at home now.

I can't see my laptop from my Android box, nor vice versa.

Does your TV see your Android box as a 'connected network device' or just as a 'connected device'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

It depends what you want to do with the box.

If you want to play media files that are stored on the box you need to set it up as a UPnP/DLNA server. BubbleUPnP is one app that will do this.
    If you want to browse files on the box in windows, set it up as a Samba server. I think most apps require root for this.
    If you just want to transfer files, install and FTP server app and use Filezilla to connect fro your laptop,

iba wrote: »
    Does your TV see your Android box as a 'connected network device' or just as a 'connected device'?

I don't have a smart tv, no it doesn't see anything.

Guys thanks for your responses.

So the answer to whether or not a Laptop/PC can see an android box is No unless you install additional software.

So is it the same for a Smart TV to see it over UPnP/DLNA - one would have to install a program like Bubble UPnP for the TV to see the box?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

iba wrote: »
    Guys thanks for your responses.

So the answer to whether or not a Laptop/PC can see an android box is No unless you install additional software.

So is it the same for a Smart TV to see it over UPnP/DLNA - one would have to install a program like Bubble UPnP for the TV to see the box?

Thanks

Yes, you would need an app to make the media files on the Android box available to a Smart TV. Most android boxes come pre-installed with one though

dubrov wrote: »
    Yes, you would need an app to make the media files on the Android box available to a Smart TV. Most android boxes come pre-installed with one though

I will have a look to see if there is one installed this evening, I have a custom rom on it at the moment from freaktab - I think it is called MK908ii Finless ROM 1.4a (but not a 100% sure)

Which app would you recommend if it does not have a pre-installed one?

Advertisement