Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI looking to recover fees paid in 2012-13 - advice needed

Options
  • 29-06-2015 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hello,

SUSI sent me a letter saying that after an audit they discovered they miscalculated my application back in 2012-13 and that I should have received 50% contribution instead of 100%, and want to recover the money.

I appealed on the basis that it was their mistake - I gave them all my information in good faith and then pursued the course as a mature student on the basis that I was awarded the grant. I was unemployed at the time, so I would not have gone down that route had I been required to pay, I could have completed something with FAS or with one of the other employment services, basically something affordable for someone who is unemployed.

I've just had my appeal rejected, and they have ignored the fact that it was all their mistake.

I intend to appeal to the Student Grants Appeal Board, but does anyone have any advice - it seems ridiculous that they are allowed to even send out letters like this to people, years after the fact, and after a mistake on their part.

Not only was it an incredibly stressful process trying to get the grant in the first place as the whole organisation was such a shambles, now they are doing their best to put me into debt, when I did everything correctly and provided all of my information.

Advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

It is written in the 2012 Student Grants Scheme

Overpayments
    39. Any overpayment made in respect of a grant awarded under this Scheme
    may be recovered by the paying awarding authority in accordance with section
    24 of the Act.

Advertisement