Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSO - Statistician

Options
  • 29-06-2015 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Recently applied for this role on publicjobs.ie. Does anyone know if these roles are primarily Analyst/Statistician roles or if they're more techy roles. I know they will be a certain element of both involved but will what will be the main focus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

It really depends where you get assigned, there are methodology roles, some which are more management and some more analysis, to be honest you could be assigned to any of them, there are aren't any hugely statistical as such. More data management really as a large part of the role is collecting and publishing data which is used by others for research and analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

Just bumping this thread. Has anyone heard anything about these positions?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭fangler

Nothing back yet for me

Just got a notification there (they must have seen our posts!) that I got through. Some form of assessment on the 6 or 7 August in Abbey Street. They'll send out prep material next week to the publicjobs message box. Then interviews w/c 24th August and w/c 31st August.

Can anyone give an idea of what's asked in the statistician assessment test? I heard it's a harder maths standard than the normal public service one.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

Has there been any update on this?

• Advertisement

Passed both sections of the assessment but only ranked in the low 50s, people ranked 35th and higher were brought forward to next stage for interview. After that I can't tell you anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

Thanks. Same with myself, I was just wondering if they called anyone outside the top 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

New CSO Statistician competition has been launched

http://www.cso.ie/en/newsandevents/recruitmentstatisticiananalystinthecentralstatisticsoffice/

Deadline 5pm, on Monday 4th July 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

bleary wrote: »
    It really depends where you get assigned, there are methodology roles, some which are more management and some more analysis, to be honest you could be assigned to any of them, there are aren't any hugely statistical as such. More data management really as a large part of the role is collecting and publishing data which is used by others for research and analysis

Is there any more info on the roles? Is there software developer type positions or is that stuff all outsourced or something?

Is it mainly down in Cork? What sort of stuff might the Dublin positions involve?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Slydice wrote: »
    Is there any more info on the roles? Is there software developer type positions or is that stuff all outsourced or something?

Is it mainly down in Cork? What sort of stuff might the Dublin positions involve?

Information booklet is here. I'd download it as deadline is today and might be taken down afterwards.

They have offices by Mahon Point in Cork, and in Rathmines and Swords in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

New CSO Statistician competition has been launched

http://www.cso.ie/en/newsandevents/recruitmentstatisticiananalystinthecentralstatisticsoffice/

Deadline 5pm, on Monday 4th July 2016

Feck- they didn't give much notice.
    I have an alert setup on Publicjobs- but it didn't pick this up.
    I'm not the happiest- I've a major in applied stats- and have worked extensively with the CSO in the past (via other public sector organisations)- I'm kicking myself that I didn't see this in time.........

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

Anybody else get an application in for this? I'm currently in a Stats role elsewhere in the civil service and it appears they are looking for a good technical stats ability for this competition when you read the application.

However after informal discussions with some people who work at the CSO it appears that proficiency in R and SPSS etc. is not 100% necessary if you can show you have the ability to learn them. However of course if you have technical knowledge of these programmes it puts you at quite an advantage.

I'm worried this will be my downfall. Has anyone any experience of how they examine this aspect in the aptitude tests and interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jazz Book

Hi

Has anyone heard anything back from the CSO on the June 2016 competition yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

Heard nothing yet but going from previous open competitions in other areas, nothing appears to happen quickly so not too worried yet.

Interviewing in Cork for this during the coming week. I understand the work sample analysis and presentation of same afterwards. Any other advice on what they might/could ask? Has anyone experience of these interviews within the CSO? I presume it will be largely based on what was said in initial application?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jazz Book

hi Guys, does anyone have any experience from CSO interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 StGriffen

Sorry to bump this but would anyone be able to attach (or PM) the pdf spec for this competition? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

Just bumping this old thread
    I've been called for interview with CSO and a 45 minute assessment beforehand
    This assessment is apparently going to identify if candidate can ready data i'd image
    I have asked for a sample/example of the kind/nature of the questions been asked but nothing available

Can any offer any advice ?

Advertisement