Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918

Options
  • 29-06-2015 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

American Draft Registration Records WW1 available FREE on FamilySearch at the link below. I found one of my chaps there - absolutely thrilled. Scans of originals downloadable.

http://oak.ctx.ly/r/394yl

"This collection includes cards for 24 million men who registered for World War I, in three registrations. The cards are arranged by state, by city or county, by local draft board, and then alphabetical by surname. These records do more than provide names, dates, and places. They paint a portrait of what that person looked like because they include hair and eye color, build and stature, or scars. In order to view this information, click to see the image, because the personal information.....was not indexed."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

worth checking Fold3.com to see if there's any more info re your chap. Not free generally but often has free promotional periods.

Do you know if he went on to serve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yes, my man went on to serve. He enlisted in the U.S. in 1918 and not satisfied with that, he actually went on to enlist in 1942 also. Mad for the fightin' he was! He survived both theatres of war and died in the 1960's. Wish I'd known him. In fact, wish I'd known a lot more of my ancestors.

Advertisement