Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes Questions!

Options
  • 29-06-2015 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Two questions for more experienced mammys!

1. My lad has a round tummy and short legs so he's in 6-9 month clothes but the tummy on the jogger pants (dunnes) are tight but the next size up are massive. Anyone know a brand that might be wider on the tummy?

2. Next year he'll be about 18 months for summer so out of sleep suits etc and likely running around. Next sale is coming up so I'm doing inventory of birth presents. Can anyone tell me how many tshirts/vests/pants approx I will need for him? I'd prefer not to be washing clothes every day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I'm changing my 16 mth old every day if not twice a. Day. Between suncream, and practically throwing water over himself, playing in garden, sandpits, sweating etc, his clothes are filthy!

I'd say I have about 15 t shirts, 5 linen trousers, 5 shorts 2 hats. 4 shortie pjs. He never runs out of clothes, In fact has way too many!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Oh I love the Next sale...just don't want to get up at 3am :-(

Clothes wise it depends on the child. I could change my 2 year old three times a day! By breakfast everything is dirty!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Did you try Next for the trousers? I find them great because they have an actual drawstring rather than just the fake ones on dunnes/penny's stuff.

Haven't a clue how much of everything I have for my son. When the new season stuff comes into penny's I normally buy one of all the tshirts, at 1.50/2 eur a tshirt I don't mind then if they get ruined etc.

The vouchers out at the moment for Next (check bargain alerts thread or in store) basically get you clothes half price if you order smartly (only order 30 eur per order and you only pay 15 eur). Probably get much better stuff if you had a couple of vouchers rather than wading through rubbish in the sales.

Oh and my son is 25 months and still in sleeping bags (the lightest ones this time of year!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Will check next tomorrow and see thanks!

Ya I use the vouchers but only for things that total to the 30, otherwise I find I end up spending on rubbish that I don't need just to get the discount which defeats the purpose. I did both simultaneously for the last next sale, checked what I had, used the vouchers prior to sale for anything I really really wanted or totalled well and then went to the sale with a list of what I wanted to help me restrain myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Ok inventory taken and yes I have generous family/friends! It's not all new :)

Between 18 months and 2 years I have:

2 pairs pyjamas
    2 short sleeve vests

1 pair navy trousers (light enough)
    1 formal beige trousers
    1 pair navy trousers

1 heavy cotton/wool jumper
    1 button cardigan with hood (heavy!)

1 long sleeve checked shirt, light
    1 long sleeved shirt
    1 vest shirt short sleeves (light)

1 tshirt (short sleeve)

I'm thinking I need pyjamas/vests/tshirts/summer coat and maybe a hoody or zip up? There's plenty formal wear in there but not a lot of comfortable stuff which is what he'll need?

I'm a little OCD about these things and I like to shop the bargains as does his grandad so at least I'll be keeping an eye out for the next year. Got 3 sleep suits for 3e in penny's today-I like myself a good bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My little guys lives in tracksuit bottoms and long sleeved t shirts.
    Most of his bottoms are from next is get them using the €15 off €30 vouchers.
    The €8 ones are the best in fit he does have a few of the dearer ones that I got in the sale but they are much slimmer fit.
    I would say he has 10-15 tracksuit bottoms. Some days he could have 3 outfit changes :eek: as he insists on feeding himself etc !

The long sleeved t shirts are mostly Name it or marks and Spencer's.
    Some Name it tops are small fittings though...he is in 18-24months in the expensive ones and a 3-4y in the cheaper ones. Both are the same great quality.

He doesn't wear hoodies even though He has them! He has loads of coats that were mostly presents. The best one is from next and it is fleece they always seem to have it but change the design slightly every season. It is fine for a car seat too.

He has loads of shorts and t shirts which he wears on hot days but he is soooo mobile I then to put tracksuit bottoms on for protection (from falls etc) when he is outside unless it is hot!!

I am going to order more next vests this week with vouchers, they are the most generous in sizing. I would have 10 as he can have accidents with his nappy.

The best shorts are the loose ones not the fancy ones which I bought in pumpkin patch that are like chinos/jeans. What was I thinking :D lol. It's all about comfort. He has some lovely light ones from are from boden. The longer ones are great I think they are called "baggies".

He isn't wearing pjs at night only a vest and a light grobag.

Also he LOVES putting on hats! I got a great peak one in m and s that has fabric on the neck that you can have up or down.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have a 1 year old who is crawling and permanently grubby! I buy ahead like you, and right now, it's about trousers. Leggings, tracksuit bottoms, and little light jeans. Dresses are a disaster at the moment, no point in them at all. T-shirts are a must too, and the way she is at the moment, I can't have too many of them!

Based on my experience so far and looking at your list, if I were you I'd stock up on trousers and t-shirts (if it's summer clothes you're thinking). My little one is through at least one clothes change in a day, if not two, at the moment - between the dirt from crawling outside (can't be prevented!) and the food, it's just all very messy, and some stains won't come out at all.

I've found Dunnes sizes suddenly got big when she got into their 9-12/12-18 month stuff. It's quite big on her, whereas before, it would have been on the smaller size. She wears Zara too - really good quality little tracksuit bottoms and trousers, but on the small side so we buy a size ahead (she's in 12-18 mth Zara a few weeks now). Their winter range is better though, because the summer stuff is very light and tends towards shorts and dresses. Next sizes are big on her too, as are Mothercare. Tesco do good-sized clothes aswell, handy for tracksuit bottoms, even if they're not the best quality (they end up filthy anyway). She has some Nameit stuff, which is big on her, and some jojomamanbebe stuff, which is small (and expensive, although their 4 in 1 jacket is a good buy for winter). I tend to go for the multipacks of T-shirts and leggings for her where possible. M&S are excellent quality and big sizes, definitely to be recommended. I like their vests, they last ages and are really durable and roomy.

Oh and Gap do good bottoms for little boys, though their winter selection might be better to look at. There's a Gap outlet in Blanchardstown if you're around Dublin. I was there a few months ago, and there was a woman buying 2 in every colour of their basic Gap tracksuit bottoms for a little boy.

I now understand why :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Another tracksuit bottom lover here :D Until my fella was 1, most of his stuff was dressy- jeans jumpers and shirts etc but since he really started moving around, he's been living in trackie bottoms and tshirts. At the moment with the weather he's going around the house in just a vest and only gets proper clothes on when we're going out somewhere :o

We have loads of tracksuit bottoms and everday tshirts and then 5 or 6 pairs of bluezoo jeans that I got in the debenhams sale, they're great because they have drawstring waists. We have a few nice shirts for special occasions and a few hoodies that I'll probably start putting on him when the weather gets colder. I have my eye out for some nice jumpers for autumn because I found them great last year but haven't come across any yet.

Advertisement