Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hearing problems after gig

Options
  • 29-06-2015 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi, don't know if I'm posting this in the correct forum but I think its relevant to anyone attending concerts.
    I was at a Mastodon gig in Cork city Saturday night. Great gig by a fantastic band. I was a bit back at the start but worked my way to the top as the gig went on. I don't wear earplugs but noticed some people were.
    Gig over and heading home with my mate. He commented how loud he found it and he stayed back for all of the gig. While driving home I could barely hear what he was saying with the buzzing in my ears. Still not too concerned though thinking everything will be fine in the morning. Buzzing left one ear but has remained in the other. Has anyone else had this?? Did it resolve itself in time?? Should I go to a doctor?? All advice and experiences greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Sounds like you might have mild tinnitus.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ts_editor

Layne wrote: »
    I don't wear earplugs but noticed some people were.
    Anyone who attends more than zero gigs per year should be wearing plugs.

Don't waste your time with squishy foam types. You can buy good, reusable rubber earplugs for less than the price of most concert tickets. Protects your hearing. Improved sound fidelity. Eliminates the drone of chronic chatter.
    It's all win, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You have never suffered this after a gig before? I used ear plugs for the first time this year, now it was for the Swans and Mogwai gigs. Well needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Layne

Birneybau wrote: »
    You have never suffered this after a gig before? I used ear plugs for the first time this year, now it was for the Swans and Mogwai gigs. Well needed.

Well I would have had buzzing in my ears after a gig but it would be gone by the following morning, not this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

To be perfectly honest if gig was Saturday if not cleared by Wednesday I'd suggest getting them checked for sure and don't do anything foolish like shoving cotton buds up there in the meantime.

I haven't had that after a gig but due to my lifestyle (listening to predominantly heavy music) I had similar problem went to doc 4-5 days after not being able to hear in one ear and he syringed it (water gun) it cleared it and hearing was back instantly.

I still don't use earplugs personally but nobody pays attention to those that do as above have said you're saving yourself worry and protecting the future of your ears.

On another note was at Mastodon last night (Belfast) and thought sound coulda been a bit raised...appears I was at the wrong show :)

• Advertisement

On another note was at Mastodon last night (Belfast) and thought sound coulda been a bit raised...appears I was at the wrong show :)
    Or the right show as the case may be!! The Savoy in Cork is pretty small so the sound was bouncing off the walls. Belfast was probably a bigger venue. The support act Bad Breeding made a fair racket too.
    Gonna see a doctor in the morning and see what he has to say, apparently mild tinnitus can be treated with steroids if dealt with quickly. Don't wanna be told to stay away from live gigs, that would be gutting 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Try to ignore it too, the more you try and hear for it or check for tinnitus the louder it can get. Its probably short term for you, but if you too preoccupied by it and keep checking how it is, it can get worse and not go away at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Or the right show as the case may be!! The Savoy in Cork is pretty small so the sound was bouncing off the walls. Belfast was probably a bigger venue. The support act Bad Breeding made a fair racket too.
    Gonna see a doctor in the morning and see what he has to say, apparently mild tinnitus can be treated with steroids if dealt with quickly. Don't wanna be told to stay away from live gigs, that would be gutting 😢

Never been to the Savoy but yeah I'd say Ulster Hall slightly bigger than the Olympia theater style venue too certainly bigger standing section than there.

Best of luck with doc, ease the mind and all that for sure. Hopefully you be able for more live gigs then to test the resistance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Doctor won't really be able to anything for you tbh, and it's likely that the damage is permanent. Not the ringing will be around forever, but the damage caused is probably permanent.

Don't panic though, if you mind yourself in future this shouldn't be a problem. That was a LOUD gig, I could tell that much even with my earplugs in. My advice to you would be start wearing earplugs, and really wear them to every gig. They make such a massive difference, and your ears will thank you. Very decent ones can be hand for around €20 in Pro Musica, and they're honestly worth triple that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I recommend Howard Leight Fusion Corded Earplugs, you can get them for under a fiver on Amazon and Ebay. Ive been using them for years. Very hard wearing.

• Advertisement

Wow I've been to 100's of shows over the last 2 decades and have to say it's been a long long time since i've experienced what the OP has late 90's maybe was the last time maybe a little later but not much.

I began wearing earplugs back then too because of it but have been to many shows without them and not had any problems in more recent years .... well no ringing in my ears but aware there can be problems even still :o Also I'm sure many will agree the gig sounds better with good plugs too.

Only speculating here and possibly ignorance on my part but I was under the impression there were strict rules brought in for volume levels in venues at some point :confused:

Go see a GP to set your mind at ease OP none of us are GP's :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I recommend Howard Leight Fusion Corded Earplugs,
    I see they have a range of them, did you use any other? If I was to pick one the "clairty" would have been my guess as the best one for gigs.

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/clarity

rubadub wrote: »
    I see they have a range of them, did you use any other? If I was to pick one the "clairty" would have been my guess as the best one for gigs.

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/clarity

I havent.

The Fusion are SNR 28db, I see the Clarity are SNR 22db. They do look better for gigs.

I started using them for swimming and they saved me the cost of customised earplugs, but then I started using them for noise and I found the smaller size in the Fusion is perfect for me to sleep with in and not hear a thing (I used to have noisy neighbours).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well I would have had buzzing in my ears after a gig but it would be gone by the following morning, not this time.

As would the particular frequency of the buzz from your hearing range. Permanently, unfortunately.

Edit: Possibly of course. If the stereocilia in your inner ear shear off, resulting in the ringing sound, that sound is gone for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

This happened to me a few times before and it went in the next couple of days, but I went to a gig in December and the buzzing was still there 3 weeks later and I got diagnosed with permenant tinnitus. I still have it and there's no cure for it, it's really annoying but you become immune to it when you think of other things, I'm only 18 too so it sucks.

gracew wrote: »
    This happened to me a few times before and it went in the next couple of days, but I went to a gig in December and the buzzing was still there 3 weeks later and I got diagnosed with permenant tinnitus. I still have it and there's no cure for it, it's really annoying but you become immune to it when you think of other things, I'm only 18 too so it sucks.

Yeah, that really sucks.

Just a quick update. I went to the doctor yesterday, explained my story and he wasn't overly concerned, said I had 'temporary threshold shift'. He reckoned it is temporary and should go away. If it has not gone by next Monday I need to go back to him. Hope he is right.
    I asked about future concerts and he said that it should be okay but was very enthusiastic about wearing earplugs for protection, will purchase in the next few days.
    He said indoor concerts are more damaging than outdoor gigs especially those in smaller venues eg the Savoy. That probably makes sense.
    Anyways thats where it is at. Still have the ringing five days later so it would want to be going away now. Have a Fleetwood Mac ticket for Friday 10th in Dublin but am not going to risk it.
    Would urge everyone attending gigs to wear earplugs, this has really rattled me and wouldn't want anyone to go through it unnecessarily. I love festivals and gigs so would be devastated if I was told to stop going. I've learned from this though I'm not out of the woods yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

gracew wrote: »
    Just a quick update. I went to the doctor yesterday, explained my story and he wasn't overly concerned, said I had 'temporary threshold shift'. He reckoned it is temporary and should go away. If it has not gone by next Monday I need to go back to him. Hope he is right.
    I asked about future concerts and he said that it should be okay but was very enthusiastic about wearing earplugs for protection, will purchase in the next few days.
    He said indoor concerts are more damaging than outdoor gigs especially those in smaller venues eg the Savoy. That probably makes sense.
    Anyways thats where it is at. Still have the ringing five days later so it would want to be going away now. Have a Fleetwood Mac ticket for Friday 10th in Dublin but am not going to risk it.
    Would urge everyone attending gigs to wear earplugs, this has really rattled me and wouldn't want anyone to go through it unnecessarily. I love festivals and gigs so would be devastated if I was told to stop going. I've learned from this though I'm not out of the woods yet.

I've had great success with homeopathic remedies for all sorts of illnesses and symptoms over the last few years. Try and find a good homeopath, I bet you will find that it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I got a set of DUBS this year. They were the cheap version but they were still really good.
    I've ordered the main model from Amazon and will try them out at the Libertines next week.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NW1IZ4W/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

I've had great success with homeopathic remedies for all sorts of illnesses and symptoms over the last few years. Try and find a good homeopath, I bet you will find that it helps.

Or drink a glass of water for the same effect.

• Advertisement

Yeah, right.

Water is not going to magically regrow inner ear hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

I can't stress enough about wearing plugs. I'm playing drums in a band for a few years and when I was starting out, I never wore them. Tinnitus is a b%stard. The ringing is to do with your inner nerve endings and the frequency that caused it, you won't hear it again. It doesn't make a huge difference but if you continued without some sort of plugs, of course it's going to get worse.

I really recommend these, it's what I started out on. They are Musician plugs, you wouldn't even notice them and so would others. They come with two different decibel filters and you can easily change them around depending on the venue of a gig. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vater-Percussion-Musicians-Plugs-Drumsticks/dp/B00PZ523LY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435925784&sr=8-3&keywords=Musician+plugs+vater

I now use In-ear monotoring for when I'm playing live, but these things do a brilliant job.

Like the Harvey Norman ad, When it's gone - It's gone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Just to echo everyone else on here: wear earplugs!!

I've been going to gigs for years, mostly hard rock and metal gigs. For ages I never thought about wearing earplugs and always had ringing in my ears, usually for about 24 hours before it was totally gone. I then had a string of gigs around summer 2009 (Airborne, Slash, KISS, Iron Maiden, Pearl Jam) all in fairly close succession and I started to realise after 3 or 4 of these gigs that there was still a very light ringing in just my left ear which I only noticed at night in bed when there was total quiet. It made me quite nervous so since then I make sure to wear earplugs at all the gigs I go to, maybe with the exception of an acoustic gig or very small scale affair.

I never went to the doctor about it because I figure it's there for life now but I don't even notice it anymore unless I really stop and concentrate. The odd time I forget my earplugs now, I freak out and make sure I get to a pharmacy to at least get one of the crappy foam pairs but the main ones I use are from a company called Earpeace. They are pretty cheap, but discreet and specifically made for concert goers and ever since using them I find concerts actually sound much better and when I take them out for a second everything just sounds really muddy and distorted so they actually improve the sound. They have a partnership with ticketmaster now as well so every time you buy a ticket online, you have the option to add a pair into your order for about €12.50.

So yeah, long story short, don't take your hearing for granted as the damage is irreversible 9 times out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

My ears ring really badly for a couple of days after gigs. Mine were always worse than my friends' at the same shows and we used to debate whether my ears were more sensitive or whether theirs were already damaged to the point it didn't affect them. Anyway, I've had permanent low-level tinnitus now since I was 19. Can't say which gig caused it but I noticed it one night when the house was quiet and it's never gone away. Doctors can't see anything physically wrong, so nothing they can do. Annoying as hell sometimes.

I wear Planet Waves musicians' earplugs to gigs now. They're about €20 (reusable) but they're made for performers so the sound is really clear and balanced (not muffled, like the cheap foam ones). Forgot them when I went to Jimmy Eat World a couple years ago and I couldn't hear myself talking afterwards, which was terrifying! I At the risk of sounding like a granny, I definitely think some shows are too loud these days!

Just a quick query. Would it be fair to say that earplugs are not as essential for outdoor gigs or festivals as they would be for indoor gigs. Any thoughts.

Depends.

Even if the level mightn't be as damaging (and that's only assuming it isn't), generally if you're at an outdoor gig, it's part of a festival. So you'll be exposed all day.

Sustained exposure to lower decibel levels can be just as damaging to hearing as a shorter exposure to very high levels. http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/

Just bring the plugs anyway and, if you'll pardon the pun, play it by ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I was at the AC/DC gig in the Aviva during the week, in the pit and earplugs were DEFINITELY required. When you're standing several meters away from a gigantic stack of speakers it's a no brainer really. On the flip side, I was at the Counting Crows a week earlier and there was no need for earplugs at all. Personally I think it has to do with the genre of music. If it's a heavy metal or hard rock show, I would say earplugs are essential regardless of venue. In all other cases, I would just use your own judgement as to weather it will leave your ears ringing by the end of it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

grimm2005 wrote: »
    I was at the AC/DC gig in the Aviva during the week

They should have included a set of earplugs in that ticket price :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

http://www.hearing.ie/hearing-protection-index.html

I got these moulds made for djing with and use them at gigs too, great peace of mind.

Advertisement