Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

California Road trip

Options
  • 29-06-2015 6:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Myself and 6 friends are heading to California in September and I am looking to get some info on car rental (or anything), mainly 2 cars or 1 for the amount of us and also advise on the routes, how easy is it to drive there...anything really! (I am thinking 2 full size as we will have a suitcase each?)

I have put in the plan below, yes it is busy but the accom is booked so this will be the plan. Unfortunately we arrive back in SF on a Sunday so I have taken into account we need to find a place open we can drop the car off that day.

Thanks guys!!!

M - 7th: Arrive in San Fran around 5pm

T - 8th: SF - go to Golden gate bridge

W - 9th: SF Alcatraz in the morning

T - 10th: San Fran - Santa Barbara (rent the cars this day)

F - 11th: Santa Barbara

S - 12th: Santa Barbara - Venice/LA

S - 13th: Venice/LA

M - 14th: Venice/LA

T - 15th: Venice/LA

W - 16th: Venice/LA - Vegas

T - 17th: Vegas

F - 18th: Vegas

S - 19th: Vegas - San Fran

S - 20th: SF - drop the cars back

M- 21st - Head home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

4 days in Venice/LA is a lot, far too much in my opinion.

Spend a day or two taking your time from SF down the coast road via Monterey or someplace similar instead. SF to SB is 6 hours and a long (boring) drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

We have already booked the accom but you are probably right. Some of the guys are really into their music so are happy to check out the spots around LA as well, and just chill on the beach for a few days, they are going to be our chill out days if you like. Also anyone have an opinion on the best company to rent cars? Hertz seem the cheapest but are they the best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

malin182 wrote: »

T - 10th: San Fran - Santa Barbara (rent the cars this day)

Madness.

Google maps tells 1/2 the story of the distances/time involved. I've driven down the one from Monterey to LA in one stretch it was long and didn't give credit to the scenery.

You are looking at around 10 hours behind the wheel on this one. better to Split it up over a couple of days and shave some time off SB/Venice/LA

We have already booked the accom but you are probably right. Some of the guys are really into their music so are happy to check out the spots around LA as well, and just chill on the beach for a few days, they are going to be our chill out days if you like. Also anyone have an opinion on the best company to rent cars? Hertz seem the cheapest but are they the best?

I'd look on changing it tbh. I think you're underestimating the drive from SF to SB.

As regards the cars, it's much of a muchness. If it's a big company just go with whoever gives you the best deal. I've always found Dollar pretty good.

Madness.

Google maps tells 1/2 the story of the distances/time involved. I've driven down the one from Monterey to LA in one stretch it was long and didn't give credit to the scenery.

You are looking at around 10 hours behind the wheel on this one. better to Split it up over a couple of days and shave some time off SB/Venice/LA

OK thanks, did you take a route near the coast or the 101 freeway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I did a self drive around California and Nevada 2 years ago. Went from LA up through San Francisco to Yosemite down through Death Valley and on to Vegas with a few stops in between. You can fit plenty more in than what you're planning. Driving is grand, I had zero issues. I would advise paying a bit extra and get a couple of Jeeps for comfort

OK thanks, did you take a route near the coast or the 101 freeway?

the coast. Highway 1. If you want speed, then avoid 101 and 1 and take the 5.

101 is just bland highway passing through bland towns - you may as well take the 5 and speed down.

the coast. Highway 1. If you want speed, then avoid 101 and 1 and take the 5.

101 is just bland highway passing through bland towns - you may as well take the 5 and speed down.

I might be missing something but I don't see the 5 anywhere nearby?

I might be missing something but I don't see the 5 anywhere nearby?

I-5. It goes right the way down the middle of state (starts east of Oakland). It is the quickest route to LA and adds something like 15 minutes onto the journey to SB if you were using the 101.

Madness.

I take it the 101 would be significantly less time? It would be a pity to have to take it but would this be a solution?

• Advertisement

I take it the 101 would be significantly less time? It would be a pity to have to take it but would this be a solution?

101 would technically take less time, but from SF to San Jose alone takes about 2.5 hours due to traffic that doesn't die down until about 10am.

I-5. It goes right the way down the middle of state (starts east of Oakland). It is the quickest route to LA and adds something like 15 minutes onto the journey to SB if you were using the 101.

Probably would be best to take that back from Vegas anyway?

You'll get from SF to SB in roughly under 6 hours or so on the 101. Maybe a bit longer depending on traffic.

As mentioned it's a boring boring drive. Pretty flat terrain and all pretty brown (although recent showers may have greened it up).

Taking the 1 (coast road) will be longer but it's a spectacular drive scenery wise. 7-8 hours should be enough for the 1. But I really advise stopping somewhere to enjoy it all.

You'll get from SF to SB in roughly under 6 hours or so on the 101. Maybe a bit longer depending on traffic.

As mentioned it's a boring boring drive. Pretty flat terrain and all pretty brown (although recent showers may have greened it up).

Taking the 1 (coast road) will be longer but it's a spectacular drive scenery wise. 7-8 hours should be enough for the 1. But I really advise stopping somewhere to enjoy it all.

Thanks,

If we were to stop along the way, where would be a place you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Book your tickets for Alcatraz soon. Too late when you are out there (very old opinion, may be 2015-wrong). Go down the coast road. Hike that twisty SF street, and pier 39. Any room for me?

Any one of Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur. I like Monterey myself but I've had visitors who've sworn the other two are better.

There are undoubtedly more places too those three are the only ones I've experienced myself.

Thanks guys, all good info here. One of the guys is into his films, would Paramount be worth while? Not really too pushed going for mainstream Universal unless its really worth it? Yeah we need to book Alcatraz. I take it all tours are similar? There was reference to early bird ones but they all look the same? Is it worth visiting golden gate bridge or is it enough to just see it?

We are thinking of taking a day in Vegas to drive out to the grand canyon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Paramount is for real movie nerds, not the most exciting. I personally would not recommend.

Only one company do the Alcatraz tours, beware of agents. The tours are all the same except for the night one which I did not do but comes recommended.

I cycled across the bridge and down into Sausalito. I would go to the bridge regardless.

Grand Canyon is a must see for me but is a long drive (4 or 5 hours 1 way). Others recommend doing it by helicopter but this comes at a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Is it worth visiting golden gate bridge or is it enough to just see it?
    It would be a shame not to go on out to see the Redwoods at Muir Woods, juts a few miles the far side of the Golden Gate!
    We are thinking of taking a day in Vegas to drive out to the grand canyon?
    You really can't do the Grand Canyon in a one day drive from LV and back again. And you'll be passing the Hoover Dam to get there, which is worth a couple of hours stop in it's own right.

For a shorter trip to see stunning scenery, Zion Canyon is closer, and even if you can't devote a whole day to such a trip, you should at least make time to get to either Red Rock Canyon or the Valley of Fire - neither are a patch on Zion or the Grand Canyon, but still impressively different from what you're used to seeing in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Book Alcatraz now, in advance, this week. I can't emphasize this enough, you will not be going to Alcatraz without advance booking of at least 5-6 weeks during the high season, preferably more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

You absolutely have to drive down Highway One. Its one of california's tourist attractions.

Take one of those Santa barbara nights and make it San Luis Obispo (southern end of the scenic section of Highway One). There's all sorts of motels/hotels in San Luis. You wouldnt need to book.

Its a long days drive down from SF but you also chance missing any morning fog if you do highway one in the afternoon/evening. Another option is to spend a might in Monterey.

Personally I'd scratch santa barbera all together and just go SF > Monterey > SLO > LA/venice

Just thoughts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Is it worth visiting golden gate bridge or is it enough to just see it?

Keep going over the bridge, then take the road that goes to the west to Marin Headlands. Spectacular view spot. See the link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.828147,-122.497931,3a,75y,136.35h,69.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siL5TP3oijQBtqDoWgVbANQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Several people have said it.
    Book Alcatraz. I did the night tour. www.blueandgoldfleet.com/
    Do PCH (Highway 1) not the inland route and get out of the car from time to time, places like Carmel are pleasant.
    San Luis Obispo is a good overnight stop.

Several people have said it.
    Book Alcatraz. I did the night tour. www.blueandgoldfleet.com/
    Do PCH (Highway 1) not the inland route and get out of the car from time to time, places like Carmel are pleasant.
    San Luis Obispo is a good overnight stop.

Don't forget to stop to check out the Elephant seals. Huge things, just keep your distance as they can get aggressive (and they stink)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Keep going over the bridge, then take the road that goes to the west to Marin Headlands. Spectacular view spot. See the link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.828147,-122.497931,3a,75y,136.35h,69.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siL5TP3oijQBtqDoWgVbANQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Might as well see the Nike Missile Base which is a few miles further though check opening times in advance. Same for Point Bonita Lighthouse which is on the same stretch.

Like InTheTrees, I can't overstate the recommendation to do the PCH/HW1 and not rushing it. It's a Bucket List item. There's a few threads already on the subject which are worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Any one of Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur. I like Monterey myself but I've had visitors who've sworn the other two are better.

There are undoubtedly more places too those three are the only ones I've experienced myself.
    Monterey would be best, Carmel is lovely but kinda ' older' whereas Monterey is liveliest. Big sur isn't really a place, just a long stretch of coast line so there isn't any where specific to stay. We stayed in San Luis obispo and loved it. We did the SF to LA drive stopping off in Monterey, SLO and Santa Barbera And loved it. I would agree with the others who said not to do the whole coast in one day !! I think SF to San Luis O in one day, then onto Santa B the next day would be better for your plans

Advertisement