Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder Advice/Opinions

Options
  • 29-06-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We are potentially looking at a childminder for 2 children.

I was just wondering what people's experiences were with them lets say over a creche? Also just had a few questions:

What is the going rate per day for 1 baby & 1 toddler? Do they offer half day rates?
    How does it work with bank holidays?
    What if the childminder takes holidays?
    Do you have to provide the dinners?
    What is the maximum number of kids in total a childminder can mind? (I have heard of some childminders minding other kids too)
    What sort of activities can be expected of a childminder? ie: I don't want the kids sitting in front of the tv all day!
    Are they flexible in terms of doing pickups? ie: from a montessori.

Obviously a lot will depend on the actual individual but as we are just starting to looking into this option I'd like to get some feedback/tips from others. Potentially if we are going to meet with a childminder I'd like to know what sort of questions are reasonable to ask and what should be asked.

Thanks a million :D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on where in the country you are and if it is urban or rural.

What is the going rate per day for 1 baby & 1 toddler? for an 8 hour day 50-80 euro
    Do they offer half day rates? yes,once they are pre arranged in the contract.
    How does it work with bank holidays? again it comes back to the contract but I would pay for them.
    What if the childminder takes holidays? The 2 weeks pre arranged holidays I would pay them for but for anything else I do not.
    Do you have to provide the dinners? Not unless you want to.
    What is the maximum number of kids in total a childminder can mind? (I have heard of some childminders minding other kids too)
    There is no limit but -
    "Sessional services
    Playgroups, crèches, Montessori groups, playschools, naionraí and childminders looking after more than 3 children offer sessional pre-school services. Services normally offered are planned programmes, consisting of up to 3.5 hours per session (for example, a morning or an afternoon). They generally cater for pre-school children in the 0-6 year age bracke" citizens information
    What sort of activities can be expected of a childminder? ie: I don't want the kids sitting in front of the tv all day!
    Art,walks,garden play,baking,lego,jigsaws
    Are they flexible in terms of doing pickups? ie: from a montessori.
    Again you arrange this yourself and include it in the contract.

The norm is to agree a weekly or monthly price with everything included except formula and nappies.

If you do not send them you still pay,if she can not take them then you do not pay.

Advertisement