Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More than 1,000 children now homeless in Dublin

Options
  • 29-06-2015 2:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12

More than 1,000 children are now homeless in Dublin. The latest figures from the Dublin Region Homeless Executive show, in the week of May 18th-24th, there were 1,034 children – in 490 families – in emergency accommodation.

Absolutely shocking no?

Whatever about adults who have lost their way through drink and drugs and ended up on the streets. Would you walk past a begging homeless child?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They are in emergency accommodation, not sleeping rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Do you have a link to the report?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 SummerSale

snubbleste wrote: »
    They are in emergency accommodation, not sleeping rough.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Misleading thread title is misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

SummerSale wrote: »
    More than 1,000 children are now homeless in Dublin. The latest figures from the Dublin Region Homeless Executive show, in the week of May 18th-24th, there were 1,034 children – in 490 families – in emergency accommodation.

Absolutely shocking no?

Whatever about adults who have lost their way through drink and drugs and ended up on the streets. Would you walk past a begging homeless child?

Would emergency accommodation not indicate that they're off the streets?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Source?
    Eh, your own post
    The latest figures from the DRHE show, in the week of May 18th-24th, there were 1,034 children – in 490 families – in emergency accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

"Homeless " doesn't necessarily mean living in the street.
    Those living in supported accommodation are also considered homeless I believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 SummerSale

Do you have a link to the report?

Yes, but as a new user I cant link to it here. It is on the Irish Times site.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Source?

http://www.homelessdublin.ie/homeless-figures

About 3,000 accessing homeless services.
    105 rough sleepers.... (In Dublin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Yeah, seen a few babies panhandling around the Grafton St area last night.

Apparently they just wanted money for some "breastmilk".

Yeah, course you do.

Crawl on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

kneemos wrote: »
    "Homeless " doesn't necessarily mean living in the street.
    Those living in supported accommodation are also considered homeless I believe.

Homeless in a hotel. The poor mites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Outrageous!!!!

Happy OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Hop in a boat, Get rescued I'm sure you will get lot's of free stuff then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

This is the problem. People read something on the journal and jump to conclusions blaming enda Kenny

Just like the homeless chap who died last year who sold 2 houses and refused accommodation because of his drug addiction

We have a high percentage of not so intelligent people its worrying.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    This is the problem. People read something on the journal and jump to conclusions blaming enda Kenny

Just like the homeless chap who died last year who sold 2 houses and refused accommodation because of his drug addiction

We have a high percentage of not so intelligent people its worrying.

Sure stable homes are no interest to children. Sure routine means nothing to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Sure stable homes are no interest to children. Sure routine means nothing to them.

I'm merely pointing out the hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

People read something on the journal and jump to conclusions blaming enda Kenny

That is the purpose of theJournal isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Are most of these homeless children roma immigrants?

I'm merely pointing out the hyperbole.

Do they have a home ?

wakka12 wrote: »
    Are most of these homeless children roma immigrants?

Can't be they only take the ones with blonde hair away they leave the others where they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Hop in a boat, Get rescued I'm sure you will get lot's of free stuff then.

Perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

cant be pretty being cooped up in a hotel room with children for months at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

The term 'homeless' has changed over the last couple of decades.

When I was a young fella homeless people during the day heated their hands, wearing fingerless glooves, against a flaming barrel in the middle of a wasteland. At night they slept in a doorway covered in newspapers with their faithful dog, probably called Spot, sitting beside them.

Today homeless people in Ireland, live in hotels, guesthouses or hostels. They may not have their own home, but they are not homeless. Of course it would be great if everyone did, but we do not live in a utopian society.

The latter option, while not perfect, is a far better scenario, IMO.

CFlat wrote: »

When I was a young fella homeless people during the day heated their hands, wearing fingerless glooves, against a flaming barrel in the middle of a wasteland. At night they slept in a doorway covered in newspapers with their faithful dog, probably called Spot, sitting beside them.

Today homeless people in Ireland, live in hotels, guesthouses or hostels. They may not have their own home, but they are not homeless. Of course it would be great if everyone did, but we do not live in a utopian society.

I'm sure one would swap with the fortunate people you are talking about, Sure even a TD I bet would jump at the chance to live in a hotel with kids. Words change society's change what was acceptable once is not now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

But but but our bond yields are down or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,041 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

CFlat wrote: »

The term "homeless" always meant no fixed abode.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

1000 in emergency accommodation? That's not homeless.

Where I am in Manilla, there are 50 times that number really living on the street. The world is a different, crueler place after you see a 4 & 9 year old in torn clothes sleeping on a concrete path surrounded by cockroaches.

http://i1.wp.com/www.streetchildadvocate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Blog-Feb-7a.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If the Councils stopped selling publicly funded social housing to tenants, at a knock down price, we'd have a hell of a lot more kids in stable housing. It would also cost the taxpayer a lot less than subsidising "emergency" accommodation to a private landlord/business.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Do they have a home ?

Ask their parents

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Whosthis wrote: »
    Homeless in a hotel. The poor mites.

You think they're lolling about in the penthouse suite of the Shelbourne and being waited on hand an foot by maids and butlers?

Advertisement