Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay fever and breastfeeding

Options
  • 29-06-2015 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi,

I haven't suffered with hay fever in years but I'm dying at the moment. Anyone know what you can safely take while breastfeeding?

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Go talk to your pharmacist.They gave me a spray that was safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dekey

Lorat or Cetrine are recommended antihistamines while breastfeeding if you must take them. Maybe first try the Prevalin nasal spray to see if it gives you any relief. The spray worked great for me last year while pregnant but has given me no relief this year. The amount of the antihistamine that passes to baby through milk is very little and as long as you're not taking them constantly is fine. I try to hold off as long as I can but if I think I'll cause more damage to little one from the hayfever itself (through drowsiness or waking her from sneezing) then I'll take the tablet, it's the lesser of two evils imo. I've only taken them 3 times so far this summer and I've seen no effects passed onto the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Lactmed is a free app that tells you what medication is safe when feeding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Wendy Jones at the breastfeeding and medication site is a pharmacist who is extremely knowledgeable about breastfeeding and meds. You can directly contact her through her facebook page or here http://www.breastfeeding-and-medication.co.uk . I wouldn't assume your own pharmacist would give you anything: I have at various times been refused neurofen, duphalac, motilium etc because of breastfeeding. For no reason other than pharmacists had not a clue. Hope you get sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Came to recommend Wendy Jones when I saw the title but cyning beat me too it! I suffer terribly, am taking Cetrize and using flixonase, both BF friendly. Also wouldn't go by what a pharmacist says, again have been refused meds that are perfectly safe to take, just the pharmacist isn't informed. They really aren't clued much into BF here, it's such a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Thanks for all your replies, I have been into the chemist but we're reluctant to advise. I'll look into all your suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

The problem is while they may be safe as only tiny amounts are secreted into milk - the bigger problem is thy can dramatically affect supply for many women

Advertisement