Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pheasant or grouse?

Options
  • 29-06-2015 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

hi all

this lovely bird has appeared in my back garden. it's taken an interest in my chickens, but they're a bit defensive when it comes near.

the tail looks like a pheasants.. but i'm not sure what it is? for the last few months i've been hearing a pheasant over the hedge in the next field.. i can hear it's call "honk honk!" and youtube confirms it's a pheasant call. but this bird that's appeared in the garden... it's sound can best be described as eh... "rib rib ribbbit" over and over again. i'll try to upload a video if no one can ID it from the photos.

it's a lovely bird and i kinda hope it hangs around.

cheers all.

bird gallery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

It's pheasant OK and not the type reared for shooting. It must have escaped from a collection

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I think it's a cheer pheasant aka Wallich's pheasant

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

cool. thank you. it seems quite happy hanging out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tisgrand

It's a young male silver pheasant. He won't have the striking grey-silver back in his first year. They are one of the more common ornamental species and very occasionally some gun clubs release a few or other ornamental species. He is most likely an escapee from an aviary as most ornamental species don't fly as suitably, or reproduce as proficiently for shooting as the common pheasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's a definite Wallich's Pheasant to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 tisgrand

It's a definite Wallich's Pheasant to me.
    cheer pheasants are pretty rare over here in comparison. That is an immature silver...i bred them for many years

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

hi all, cheers for the info.

this bird hung around very consistently for about 10 days. kept cautious distance from us when we were out. never saw it eat.. left out bits of oats, raisins, grains etc but she (we figured it was a female..) never seemed interested.

hung out in the chicken's area with them all day while she was around.. and would fly up and sleep in the tree overhead at night. then one morning, she was gone. ah well. presume he / she found somewhere better to be hehe.

haven't heard the male over the hedge in a good while either, so maybe they've all moved on somewhere.

thanks again.

Advertisement