Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Olympics have been bought by Discovery (Eurosport)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

So it looks like RTÉ won't have the rights to broadcast some of our olympic moments in the future, as the pan European rights have been bought by Discovery media for €1.3 billion

http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2015/0629/711365-olympic-tv-rights/

Hey, that's freedom for you. That's the sacred credo of capitalism.

What began as a competition of athletic prowess by amateurs to be watched and enjoyed by all is now a farce of overpaid "professionals", half of whom are doped up to lend even more farce to the proceedings. And now we must pay to watch this shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This will probably go the way of F1 so. "Why are viewers plummeting?" Because you priced it out of many people budgets and made it impossible for those without expensive TV packages like Sky to watch it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

So it looks like RTÉ won't have the rights to broadcast some of our olympic moments in the future, as the pan European rights have been bought by Discovery media for €1.3 billion

http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2015/0629/711365-olympic-tv-rights/

The Olympics are actually protected by broadcasting law in Ireland. They must be made available free to air. What would happen here is that RTE would pay Discovery / Eurosport for the right to show them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Nothing is sacred.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Keh.

I mean Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Future Primitive

The Olympics has become incredibly diluted. Bar the 'core' events it's fairly boring. I won't miss it anyway.

ScumLord wrote: »
    This will probably go the way of F1 so. "Why are viewers plummeting?" Because you priced it out of many people budgets and made it impossible for those without expensive TV packages like Sky to watch it at all.

I believe the Olympics are "listed" or protected events in the UK as well. There will never be a scenario where they will end up on satellite TV and not available free to air on the BBC and RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Menas wrote: »
    Nothing is sacred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Have watched Eurosport's Olympic coverage since 1992, forgot RTE still broadcast it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RTE will be licensed to show a certain number of hours of live events, but it will mean only core items will be shown, so if there is some Irish fella doing Ju-jitsu (sp) its unlikely to be seen until later in some highlights package I imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Seems a rather low price for pan-continental broadcast rights that Eurosport will just re-sell anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Strazdas wrote: »
    I believe the Olympics are "listed" or protected events in the UK as well. There will never be a scenario where they will end up on satellite TV and not available free to air on the BBC and RTE.
    They are for now but I think once they get used to having this money they'll say they can't survive without more. Prices will creep up gradually until the day comes national broadcasters say they can't afford it.

What about my beloved bcc red button???

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Will still be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There won't be about 20 of 'em next time - I think that was a London games one off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

It would be wonderful if the overpaid and pompous RTE presenters and commentators couldn't travel and inflict their Shyte on us

ScumLord wrote: »
    They are for now but I think once they get used to having this money they'll say they can't survive without more. Prices will creep up gradually until the day comes national broadcasters say they can't afford it.

Yes, it seems the Games could be at risk on the BBC from 2024 onwards :

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33311902

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Beyond a certain point, money destroys sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,303 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

RTE will be licensed to show a certain number of hours of live events, but it will mean only core items will be shown, so if there is some Irish fella doing Ju-jitsu (sp) its unlikely to be seen until later in some highlights package I imagine
    I hope that they spend all their allocation on the womens beach volleyball

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Beyond a certain point, money destroys sport.

looks like the IOC want to fill a FIFA sized void in the money games!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement