Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devaluation of euro - should I buy my holiday currency

Options
  • 29-06-2015 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi there. Not good on finances! Heading to Canada in a few weeks. Am I better off buying my Canadian dollars now rather than waiting to see what happens in Greece. Many thanks.

Comments

snor wrote: »
    Hi there. Not good on finances! Heading to Canada in a few weeks. Am I better off buying my Canadian dollars now rather than waiting to see what happens in Greece. Many thanks.
    Yes. You were always better off buying it now, even before the Greek talks collapsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

AH answer is that you should have bought your dollars before they started quantative easing in Europe.

I would guess buying now would be the risk averse thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bolopapa

Obviously buy now!! I believe we all know what ia coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sell your Euros the the Greeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

bolopapa wrote: »
    Obviously buy now!! I believe we all know what ia coming.

Canadian invasion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I am going to Prague in a few weeks and am ordering my currency before Wednesday

There is always the risk after this week that some compromise is made, the referendum is held and the Euro bounces back, but its not enough right now to risk it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

In case you hadn't thought of it OP, An Post offering a commission free deal on currency exchange from Euro to Sterling, US & Canadian dollars at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

bolopapa wrote: »
    I believe we all know what ia coming.

we do?

The € is trading up this morning (up 1.6% on USD).

Nobody's know's what is going to happen and if you did why not put every penny you have into shorting the € and make yourself a fortune?

Op - nobody can answer this question for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭geosynchronous orbit

Say you are converting 1000 eur to go on holidays

What difference does it make what exchange rate you are going to get??
    You are still converting 1000 eur.

Today it could be 1374 CAD tomorrow if could be 1385, the day after if could be 1350

you are basically talking about the difference in a tip.... just buy and forget... keep your receipt and if you have any notes left over; you get the same exchange rate if it is worse that when you bought it... simples

Advertisement