Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countries on high alert after Tunisian terror strike June 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For starters, please don't take advice on international travel from a rag like the Express - or the Mail for that matter.

In the recent UK general election, the Daily Express was the only paper which advised their readers to vote UKIP. That should tell you all you need to know about the type of readers they cater for - people who think that civilisation ends at the English Channel.

The Irish dept. of Foreign Affairs has not advised Irish people not to go to Tunisia and the managing director of Sunway Holidays was on Morning Ireland this morning, more than 60% of the people booked to go to Tunisia on holidays starting after the recent events have elected to go anyway.

You can be the victim of a lone nutter anywhere - Paris, London, Sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

they say they are going to guard the resorts there, i would not like to go and see people with guns guarding the beach that i elect to go to, shows me that there is a danger of this happening again, how could i take children and be happy with even the smallest threat to their lives, would rather stay put,
    watching the news, some of the people trying to get out of there, staying within the hotel for safety, after taking time off and spending hard earned money, now they are frightened and have to wait until they can get on flights out of there,
    any time we see guns we feel there is a threat, even if those guns are in the hands of security, could not relax in that athmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm going to a hotel in Marrakesh and don't even expect to leave it very much but still find it hard to shake the feeling of unease about it. I'm not sure if there's much point in going if we don't feel comfortable/relaxed while we're there. In saying that if I wanted to change my flights to somewhere else in Europe, pretty much everywhere that is sunny is on high alert!

goat2 wrote: »
    they say they are going to guard the resorts there, i would not like to go and see people with guns guarding the beach that i elect to go to, shows me that there is a danger of this happening again....

I can understand what you're saying but what are they to do? No security and no guns means tourism will dry up and yet people with guns will also put people off because as you say, it's an ever-present reminder of the risk.
    watching the news, some of the people trying to get out of there, staying within the hotel for safety, after taking time off and spending hard earned money, now they are frightened and have to wait until they can get on flights out of there,

That is not the case with everyone. There was people on the TV last night in the same resort where the shooting happened who said that they were staying put and not going home early. They said it was in solidarity with the ordinary people of Tunisia, more likely it was the cheap booze and sunshine if you ask me!

And there was a lady (MD of Sunway Holidays) on Morning Ireland (RTE radio1) this morning who said that Irish people waiting to go to Tunisia at the weekend were offered the option of abandoning the trip with a full refund and more than half chose to go ahead with the holiday.
    any time we see guns we feel there is a threat, even if those guns are in the hands of security, could not relax in that athmosphere.

There are guns everywhere these days, it's possible that you've just stopped noticing them. Heathrow airport is swarming with cops with machine guns and has been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Most police forces are armed.

Holland, Belgium, Germany, France to name a few ... doesn't make me feel like there's a threat though.

The Gardai are an exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I was standing in a queue behind a policeman in a cafe in Brussels last week and he had a handgun in his holster (not a euphemism ;)) and there definitely was not a feeling of being under threat. It was a bit shocking to be so close to a gun as we're not used to them but it is an every day sight in most other countries.

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I was standing in a queue behind a policeman in a cafe in Brussels last week and he had a handgun in his holster (not a euphemism ;)) and there definitely was not a feeling of being under threat. It was a bit shocking to be so close to a gun as we're not used to them but it is an every day sight in most other countries.

The Dutch Marechausse are a common sight at the border and in the Airports

marechaussee-onnodig-druk-met-weeskoffers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Ah shur lets just never step out the front door again altogether its too risky:rolleyes:

The places I'd be wary of going to would be the southern US states where people are allowed to carry concealed weapons, the type of places where they enrol their children as members of the National Rifle Association before they learn to walk - God, guts and guns and all that stuff. I wouldn't fancy bumping into a redneck in a gas station if I thought there was a chance of him whipping out a monster handgun and pointing it at me!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As trite as it sounds, this is exactly what these nutcases want.

It's natural to worry, but simply put, no activity in life is risk free. Of all countries, we know a little bit about these things.

Go enjoy your holiday. You're more likely to trip and fall down the stairs than come to any harm.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    The places I'd be wary of going to would be the southern US states where people are allowed to carry concealed weapons, the type of places where they enrol their children as members of the National Rifle Association before they learn to walk - God, guts and guns and all that stuff. I wouldn't fancy bumping into a redneck in a gas station if I thought there was a chance of him whipping out a monster handgun and pointing it at me!

Indeed, I've had a German Colleague that had a road rager come up clutching a revolver in a holster because he thought he cut him off on the highway.

German was just following the keep right rule in the US they just drive in whatever lane they like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

Morocco is very safe and Marrakech is very well protected by policemen. Tunisia has gone through a lot of changes recently and they are neighbours with Libya which is in chaos at the moment unlike Morocco.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

IvoryTower wrote: »
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/587227/Holiday-terror-threat-level-Spain-Tunisia-and-France-on-high-alert

I'm booked for a week in Morocco myself. not sure how I feel about it, certainly not overly positive.

Anyone else having second thoughts? Even if I cancelled I don't know where id go, my friend just cancelled Morocco to go to Spain not realising that it's on a higher alert level there!

Chances of getting killed in a terrorist attack 1 - 2,000,000

Chances of getting struck by lightening 1 - 700,000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

some good reassuring posts, thanks, now to chat to my oh :)

Advertisement