Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The weekly shop

Options
  • 28-06-2015 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭

What does your weekly shop look like?

I can barely cook the essentials, and end up spending a fortune on take out most weeks, trying to cut that down a good bit, id love to get some insight on what you guys spend in a normal week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Learning to cook would save you money in the long run.

Try to cook one new meal a week and bam - in 10 years time you will be able to cook 520 different meals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

About 50 euro per week. I eat exceptionally well. No ready cooked or processed tripe in my basket. I also take my groceries home in a brown paper bag. Nothing instills pride in your food more than the humble brown paper bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Mint Aero wrote: »
    About 50 euro per week. I eat exceptionally well. No ready cooked or processed tripe in my basket. I also take my groceries home in a brown paper bag. Nothing instills pride in your food more than the humble brown paper bag.

50? im probably spending at least double that a week! :O

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I got about 3 kg of chicken for 20 quid recently and 750g pork mince for 4 euro so all I'm spending at the moment is topping that up with a bit of veg and fruit and eggs and some nuts during the week
    I make lunches as well so that's included

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Around 70 or 80 euro is our average. That is food for breakfast, lunch and dinner plus snacks for 7 days (for 2 people).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

learn to cook the staples,potatoes ,rice ,pasta,Fry off some meat,chicken,porksteak,beef pieces.Add a sauce mix and some nice fresh bread and you have the basis of a hearty meal.Cheap and cheerful.Fresh fish is the simplest thing to cook.Ready meals are muck.Don't be over ambitious to start and you will be fine.

After hours answer.......get a girlfriend who can cook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

We do a monthly mostly. Only stuff we do weekly is buying fresh veg, milk and making bread.

Can easily do a overall healthy monthly shop for a two adults and two kids for 250-300 quid if you can cook and plan it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 poppy6488

There's a FB page called " feed your family for about £20 a week", set up by a lady called Lorna. Amazing hints and tips, recipes and bargains. Worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

You would easily if you're buying take out and not cooking meals from scratch yourself. Start stocking up on essentials, spices, oysters, foie gras etc. Have a simple breakfast, bring a nice lunch to work with you wrapped lovingly in brown parchment paper.
    Half my weekly spend is on meat, the rest is veg, carbohydrates, dairy and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭RedXIV

100-120 a week to feed 6, but I don't include my butcher bill of maybe 50 a month dedicated to just getting more protein! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

About 15 on meat, about 3 on carbs, about 5 on veg with a few quid to top things up. Generally feed myself for around €30 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Will I ruin the thread by saying have a read here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1355

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I don't do a weekly shop- I found it too wasteful. I just buy stuff when I need it- so I what I fancy not what I thought I would last weekend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Justice4Adolf

I remember when shop was a noun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

2shop
    verb
    : to visit places where goods are sold in order to look at and buy things
    : to try to get a company to publish or produce (something)
    : to give information about the secret or criminal activity of (someone) to an authority (such as the police)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Where can you buy oysters ?

Fishmongers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I'm a single guy and I spend 30 euro a week, sometimes 40. That includes junkfood for my sweetooth but not alcohol. It helps to have some decent freezer space to store all the meat/veg I buy. Occasionally I have enough food in the freezer that I don't need to shop that week (except milk).

Cooking yourself is the only way to save money on food.

If you don't enjoy cooking or don't have enough time, try some short cuts;

Mince meat cooks very quickly and requires no chopping.
    Pasta/Noodles are the quickest carb to cook (chow mein noodles in Lidl cook in 1 min, quicker than "instant" noodles!)
    Baby potatoes cook almost as quick
    Chopping your veg in bigger pieces generally saves time if you like them that way.
    Stir-fry veg like mangetout, green beans, sweetcorn, bamboo shoots don't need any chopping - just toss it into the pan.
    On your day off, chop some onions/celery/veg/whatever and stick it in some tupperware in the freezer. When you come home from work on weekdays you'll be very grateful!!
    Just stick a chicken breast in the oven (with whatever sauce you like) and roast it. Simmer spuds/veg on top. Go watch tv for 30mins. Dinner done.

Homemade sauces are something to leave for another day. If your ordering takeaway, it seems like your problem is time. I'd focus on getting a decent chopping knife and getting used to using it! You'll get quicker and quicker at it. Although it could be worth looking up a recipe for your favourite takeaway.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Get a freezer, find a good butcher and learn easy one pot dishes that are impossible to screw up. A stew, risotto, shephards pie or lasagne etc. will keep you going for at least 4-5 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

It's very easy to slap some groceries together. Are you sure you're not comfort eating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Between 40 and 50 a week for two for just dinner and staples.

• Advertisement

Mint Aero wrote: »
    You would easily if you're buying take out and not cooking meals from scratch yourself. Start stocking up on essentials, spices, oysters, foie gras etc. Have a simple breakfast, bring a nice lunch to work with you wrapped lovingly in brown parchment paper.
    Half my weekly spend is on meat, the rest is veg, carbohydrates, dairy and the like.

I'm pretty sure most people don't consider oysters and foie gras to be staples...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

75e on average for two. A good 50 of that though is chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

It's very easy to slap some groceries together. Are you sure you're not comfort eating?

Always

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

It all depends who dose the shopping

If I go I could get away with 90e a week

It oh goes he will easily spend 140e a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

lizzyman wrote: »
    Get a freezer, find a good butcher and learn easy one pot dishes that are impossible to screw up. A stew, risotto, shephards pie or lasagne etc. will keep you going for at least 4-5 days.

but would you want to eat the same thing 4 or five days in a row

There would be some complaining in our house

lulu1 wrote: »
    but would you want to eat the same thing 4 or five days in a row

There would be some complaining in our house

Quite happily yes. Especially with something like a stew, it gets better after a few days in the fridge as the flavours all mix together.

Sugar Free wrote: »
    75e on average for two. A good 50 of that though is chicken.

€50 for a weeks worth of chicken? Would you not consider raising them yourself in the backyard if you're already spending roughly €2600 a year?

In Asia here. We don't do a weekly shop.. The girlfriend just heads to the market and gets whatever's needed that day. We sometimes get a meat delivery.. 100e-200e of Australian steak, sausages, bacon, knuckle, etc. for the freezer. That lasts a good while.

We mostly eat out or order though.. Eating out is cheaper if it's simple local food and ordering is lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

lizzyman wrote: »
    €50 for a weeks worth of chicken? Would you not consider raising them yourself in the backyard if you're already spending roughly €2600 a year?

I live in a city so it wouldn't be feasible really!
    People would easily spend 2600E a year on alcohol (~50E for one night out a week) or takeaways so I consider this money well spent.

FWIW, occasionally I replace some of the chicken with steak, minced beef, lamb etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

For us, a family of 5, our shopping costs about 120 a week, nearly all fresh fruit and veg and meat, aldi have a great pre packed veg bag, takes the hassle out of preparation

Advertisement