Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't stop consuming and feeling worthtless afterwards

Options
  • 28-06-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

Everytime i go to lidl or any store online or otherways , i buy things i don't want or need and will never use. i'm addicted to buying stuff. I pretend that it makes me feel better , especially when it is on special offer. but it never does

What about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No. Can't relate to that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

No - No that doesnt happen me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Just don't buy stuff you do not need... problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

There's something weird about Lidl though, you go in for a batch loaf and a gallon of milk and come out with a wake board and 72 piece torx wrench kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Count yourself lucky you don't live in the US OP. My friend went down to buy some bread and milk one day and came home in a brand new jeep. Have you considered shopping elsewhere, M&S or Tesco, perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Go in for 2 items, come out with 22 items.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Pretty simple solution to this one. Quit your job, give away all your money & possessions & go live in the streets. If you own your former home burn that down for good measure. This should instantly cure you of your spending addiction. After all, you can't spend what you don't have. You can thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Watch fight club.

Do you not know rule 1 about fight club?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Its the human condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I regularly come home with less than I went out shopping for even when my missus gives me a list.

She asked me to go out for bread and milk last night. Forgot the bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Maybe its time to move onto shoplifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I suggest starting to plan meals and go in with a list and not to get anything thats not on the list?
    Helped me when I had a tight budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

sxt wrote: »
    Everytime i go to lidl or any store online or otherways , i buy things i don't want or need and will never use. i'm addicted to buying stuff. I pretend that it makes me feel better , especially when it is on special offer. but it never does

What about you?

Dont go shopping hungry usually people buy more in a supermarket when they are hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

Im currently waiting in 4 items to come in the post from online purchases the last 2 days..and I just bought a handbag on ASOS.com.
    Its like Christmas when they arrive!

I dont feel guilty though because I kind of do need them....maybe not the handbag, but it was pretty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Everytime i go to lidl or any store online or otherways , i buy things i don't want or need and will never use.

Just stick to the rule of only buying stuff if you absolutely NEED it.

Do you need that set of 40 drill bits, inflatable dinghy and a 2 horsepower air compressor?

No?

Then don't f*cking buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

I implemented a "one in, one out" rule two years ago when doing annual spring cleaning. The amount of money I wasted on clothes, shoes, home goods just cause I thought they were pretty at the time and I could afford it disgusted me. Could have bought a car (or a small deposit for a mortgage!)with the amount spent ! Anything that doesn't get used/worn in a year goes straight to charity. Makes me think 4 times before I buy something now....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Justice4Adolf

Have you tried mindfulness shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

What about you?

I have 3 sisters that do this,buying the most useless sh!te you could imagine,if ya ask them "well what does it do?".. Eh it does nothing its just all sparkely and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Putin wrote: »
    Go in for 2 items, come out with 22 items.:(

That how Crimea ended up in your basket?

I'm the opposite.. I hate shopping and spending money. I need new clothes and got my summer holidays five weeks ago. Still haven't made it out to the shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

bisounours wrote: »
    The amount of money I wasted on clothes, shoes, home goods just cause I thought they were pretty at the time and I could afford it disgusted me. Could have bought a car (or a small deposit for a mortgage!)with the amount spent ! Anything that doesn't get used/worn in a year goes straight to charity. Makes me think 4 times before I buy something now....

Greetings Kim Kardashian, let me be the first to welcome you to boards. xxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I don't see how it could be that hard to stop yourself buying things you don't actually need....

Just stop and think next time....'do I really need or want this or am I just buying it because it's there?'. If the answer is 'No' then just put the item back and move on, simple as that.

Although the fact that you say you are doing to make yourself feel better tells me there something else going, something which you may need professional help with ....and I meant that in the nicest possible way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm the opposite.. I hate shopping and spending money. I need new clothes and got my summer holidays five weeks ago. Still haven't made it out to the shops.
    Five weeks ago?! That's some holiday. Are you sure you weren't fired?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

The whole planning meals is not the issue I dont think because I cant remember the last time I ate my dinner with the arm of a 1000 channel polish self mounting satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Don't install the Geek app, its torturous!

Dont smoke marijuana before you go, or it will yake an eviction order to get you out of the store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

One cannot feed one's soul with material things.

Advertisement