Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

tandem skydive - any recommendations

Options
  • 27-06-2015 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, I'm a 65 years old female and I'm ticking off "always wanted to do" list, and I've come to the conclusion that if I don't do some of them now, I'll never do them. One of the top items is a tandem skydive. I'm definitely going to do it - if I don't chicken out. There are four clubs/organizations that I've found, and I wonder if anyone has heard good or bad things about any of them.

the Irish Parachute Club in Offaly
    skydive ireland in Kilkenny
    tandemskydive.ie
    extremesports.ie also Offaly

Kilkenny would be more convenient, but the IPC seems to be the best known.

Also any tips would be welcome. I'm aware I'll have to have a doctor's letter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I've only been to the IPC so that's the one I'll talk about.

Basically it's a club as in sports club, rather than a business. I enjoyed going there because there was more of a family atmosphere than a "right you've had your jump, bye" feel that a business would have.

I'm probably biased as I started on the solo training rather than a one-off tandem jump so I spent most of every weekend for 2yrs at the club so I got to make friends there.

Just in case anyone has been telling you about what you have/have to do:
    1. If you feel like going for a solo jump go for it - it's the same cost as a tandem roughly
    2. You don't have to have jumped as a tandem to start jumping solo.
    3. You don't have to train in the static line system if you don't want to - there is a quicker method of training called AFF if you would like to learn to skydive
    Those 3 points above are if you are considering a solo jump, if you're not and only want to have a tandem jump ignore what I wrote.

Either way have fun and enjoy, it's an incredible feeling up there

I forgot to write in some tips :o

Wear runners and loose clothes, older clothes if possible, you'll be landing on grass & even though you have overalls on grass stain happen.
    Depending on the weather you could be waiting around - they won't let you jump if the winds are too strong, bring the papers and relax in the clubhouse if that happens.
    The clubhouse had a restaurant when I was there but it was cash only when I was there 3 yrs ago. Bring cash! There is a village called clonbullogue nearby with a small supermarket so you can go there for food as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 franbemadd

Thank you, that's very helpful. I've been told
    1. Landing is hard, you need strong legs
    2. Landing is easy, the instructor takes the bump.

What's your opinion? I have mild Parkinsons, so not a lot of leg strength. They know this at the Club, and assure me it will be fine, keep your legs up and the instructor knows what to do.

Frances

• Registered Users Posts: 15 franbemadd

PS. That's why the tandem, rather than solo - muscle strength.

Definitely go with the tandem if you have muscle strength issues. the solo flying is exhausting if you're not used to it 2-3 jumps in a day spread out over 10hrs would have left me needing a good long sleep afterwards and that was as a mid thirties male with no muscle complications.

The tandem is a lot easier - the instructor does everything and you can relax - well relax as much as you can when falling through the sky :eek:. It sounds like you're going soon and as it's the summer time it's peak season. If your local (Dublin would be considered local) then you could arrive early but if you arrive around mid-day on a beautiful summers day when it's been bad for the preceding few weeks you'll find that there could be a lot of people waiting in front of you as they'll be dying to jump and will have arrived early.

It's not a problem as you will get to jump - more that you expect it and don't be disappointed when you realise you'll have to wait an hour or two. As I said before, bring papers or a book, relax in the clubhouse or outside on one of the picnic benches and enjoy the atmosphere.

You'll love it

• Advertisement
Advertisement