Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Malaga - Tips n Tricks to Efficiently get through Airports, etc.

Options
  • 27-06-2015 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Been a number of years since the family has travelled so we have booked a week in Sunset Beach in Benalmadena.

We are flying from Dublin to Malaga with Aer Lingus departing July 18th @ 07:00 and returning July 25th departing @ 12.10.

The holiday was booked via Sunway holidays via our travel agent.

Our Sunway eTicket printout states:

- eTicket must be presented at airport to obtain boarding pass
    - each passenger has 1 bag 20kg

The only other thing I have booked is Quick Park for the week.

So I am looking for suggestions from the travel experts on here as to how best and efficiently we can get through the airport, check-in, etc...

- How soon can we check-in online, is that an option based on Sunway comment?
    - Can we book seats together online?
    - Should we just carry on bags or check-in? If carry-on what is the best size bag to get?
    - Should we avail of Fass Pass or Airport Genie or similar?

Any other suggestions to make this as painless a process as possible.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,364 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The answer to some of your questions will depend on which airline you're flying with. Your outbound flight corresponds to a scheduled Aer Lingus flight but I can't see any 10:10 flight back on that date in the DAA summer timetable. A lot of those package holidays use charter flights with the likes of Thompsons, you really need to look at the data you got from the travel agent and ask them about check-in and seat reservations.

You have already paid for a 20kg check-in bag for each member of the party, that is a whopping load of luggage. I'd definitely pack a bag for check-in or otherwise you'll be lugging a big bag around the terminal. If you go carry-on only, you won't be able to bring any shampoo, sun cream, shaving foam or other liquids other than in travel size (<100 ml) bottles which are a total rip-off. For a week in a resort you definitely need to pack a check-in bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

coylemj wrote: »
    The answer to some of your questions will depend on which airline you're flying with. Your outbound flight corresponds to a scheduled Aer Lingus flight but I can't see any 10:10 flight back on that date in the DAA summer timetable. A lot of those package holidays use charter flights with the likes of Thompsons, you really need to look at the data you got from the travel agent and ask them about check-in and seat reservations.

You have already paid for a 20kg check-in bag for each member of the party, that is a whopping load of luggage. I'd definitely pack a bag for check-in or otherwise you'll be lugging a big bag around the terminal. If you go carry-on only, you won't be able to bring any shampoo, sun cream, shaving foam or other liquids other than in travel size (<100 ml) bottles which are a total rip-off. For a week in a resort you definitely need to pack a check-in bag.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry return flight is 12.10 departure with Aer Lingus, 10.10 was the check-in time have corrected the opening post.

Outward: EI584
    Return: EI585

Suggestions on making the whole process as painless as possible still welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Good choice of hotel, I was in it for lunch just this month.

How old are the kids? Assuming they're not infants needing bottles etc, will they need entertainment for the flight? I'm pretty sure your flight has onboard entertainment, tvs in the headrests.

To progress through security asap, keep hand luggage to a minimum and check suitcases into the hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

How old are the kids? Assuming they're not infants needing bottles etc, will they need entertainment for the flight? I'm pretty sure your flight has onboard entertainment, tvs in the headrests.

I've flown this route with Aer Lingus many times over the last two years, and only once got a plane with tvs in the headrests (now that was a summer flight, so maybe these are common during the busy season?) so maybe don't rely on that and have some back up entertainment just in case!

Good choice of hotel, I was in it for lunch just this month.

To progress through security asap, keep hand luggage to a minimum and check suitcases into the hold.

Thanks, good to hear! Just my son travelling with us, he is 11, first time on a plane. He will bring his tablet for some entertainment I reckon.

We will probably just bring a carry on backpack for this tablet and a few bits and pieces. Wife will have a handbag for tickets, passports, etc...

Do you still need to take off shoes, belts, etc. at Security? Just looking to be as streamlined as possible to make it painless for all invovled.

• Advertisement

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Do you still need to take off shoes, belts, etc. at Security? Just looking to be as streamlined as possible to make it painless for all invovled.

Belts off, yes. Shoes only if asked. Some security people in busy airports get upset if you do too much stripping off, it holds up the line so don't do the shoes unless they ask you, it tends to be random selection in most airports. Your kid's tablet will need to be taken out of the bag and put on top of your gear in one of the plastic trays they supply in the security line. As you approach the bag scanner you'll hear one of the security people ask each passenger if there is a laptop or tablet in their bag, they have to be taken out.

A lot of the plastic cards in your wallet these days have chips in them which will set off the buzzer when you walk through the scanner so purses and wallets also need to be put in the tray. A lot of people who have not travelled in a while manage to set off the buzzer so I'd advise you to take off your watch, all chunky jewellery and remove everything from your pockets and put them into the tray. Switch off your mobile phones (they get very annoyed if they ring while you're going through security) and put them in the tray as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Are you booking a car while you're away? If so I wouldn't recommend record go, just in way home from Malaga and spent over 2 hours this day last week queuing to pick up car.

368100 wrote: »
    Are you booking a car while you're away? If so I wouldn't recommend record go, just in way home from Malaga and spent over 2 hours this day last week queuing to pick up car.

No car will just get a taxi from/to airport.

So with the tickets I have will I be able to check in online or I need to check with the travel agent?

Also I live only 20mins from the airport did I read somewhere you can check bags the night before with aer lingus?

Any point in availing of other services to make passing through easier e.g. Fast track, genie, etc.

There's a train running underneath Malaga airport which will take you to Benalmadena. It's a bit of a walk to the Sunset Beach from the stop though, so you could get a taxi from outside the train station. It'd work out much cheaper than a taxi from outside the airport, they charge a premium for that.

You can't check your bags the night before, how would that work? You can check in online but there's no point really, you still need to go to the bag drop desk if you're putting luggage in the hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Also I live only 20mins from the airport did I read somewhere you can check bags the night before with aer lingus?

Any point in availing of other services to make passing through easier e.g. Fast track, genie, etc.

You can't check your bags the night before, how would that work? You can check in online but there's no point really, you still need to go to the bag drop desk if you're putting luggage in the hold.

With Aer Lingus you can check your bags in the night before http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/check-in/check-intimes/

I have used it and found it very handy as the terminal was deserted in the evening which made it very quick both that evening and the next morning as you can go straight to security.

mel.b wrote: »
    With Aer Lingus you can check your bags in the night before http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/check-in/check-intimes/

I have used it and found it very handy as the terminal was deserted in the evening which made it very quick both that evening and the next morning as you can go straight to security.

I stand corrected. Good idea too, once you're not too far away.

So with the tickets I have will I be able to check in online or I need to check with the travel agent?

You need an Aer Lingus booking reference (sample: 2HGTRW) to check-in online, you may or may not have one given that your flights are part of a package holiday. If you're able to do the bag drop the night before, you can get the boarding card then so you'll be checked in when you arrive at the airport the next morning. But .....

Check with the travel agent if you can do the bag drop the evening before. I'm sorry for repeating this but the rules are different if your seat is part of a package holiday because there may not be a flight reservation in your name so you could be turned away if you show up the evening before with all your bags.

If it's ok to do so, note the conditions for checking in bags the evening before. As a minimum you will need to bring all of the passports ....

Each passenger needs to present themselves to check-in and drop off bags but if you are travelling with immediate family, one member of the family can check-in and drop bags for the group the evening before. Passports/ID cards are required for all passengers travelling, and must be presented the evening before.

Advertisement