Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routine & Milk

Options
  • 27-06-2015 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

After numerous milk changes my baby (15weeks old) finally settled on Cow & Gate comfort started to form a bit of a routine of down at 9 til 2.30/3 then up again at 6ish. In the past few days he has a bit of a cold and is miserable.
    He is sleeping bit more during the day, expected with a cold. At night time he is going down at 9 after 7oz bottle as usual but is up again at 11 (4oz) then 1.30 (4oz) 4.30 (5oz) 6.30 (just wakes not hungry) screaming for milk like he hasn't fed in a week!
    Could it be because of his cold or because we are nearing weaning stages?
    He was a big baby when born and is big for his age over 7.7kg now.
    Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Hi baby pebble. I don't really have much advice about the milk except something like a cold could easily throw them out like that. I would say hold out as long as you can before weaning. Current recommdation is 26 weeks so 15 weeks would be very young to be considering. Hope things settle a bit and others come along with more advice than mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Would you up the oz's in some of the day time bottles and last bottle before bed a little and see does that help?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭baby_pebble

My phn said 17 weeks would be the earliest to start weaning so another 2 weeks.
    I have tried increasing ounces but will only take 5/6 daytime and sometimes not even that. At night time 7oz is being lucky as he starts to doze and impossible to keep him awake!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

WHO advice is to wean from 26 weeks not 17. Most PHN are still pushing the 17 weeks line but I'd disregard it. At that stage I'd still follow baby's lead and wouldn't go near solids until much later, when they have the physical ability and correct gut to tolerate solid foods. As for feeds, follow baby's lead. If they are looking for more or are full, let them work away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I had major problems like that with bottles when my lad had a cold, he couldn't breathe while he drank so couldn't get through a whole bottle, it was frustrating/tiring him out. Ride out the cold and then see how routine fares the week afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

try putting a little snufflebaby on his chest so that he can breath better.
    Is his room dark? The bright nights effect some kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Maybe try a faster flowing teat while he has the cold, he may be tiring trying to suck & breath through his nose at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 catkit

He'll get more nutrition from milk that he would from food anyway, so I would stick with the WHO advice and wait until 6 months. 16 weeks is typical sleep regression time as well, so a lot of babies get unsettled around then only to settle down a few weeks afterwards - even without the cold. Olbas oil is great to make it easier for them to breathe, you can get it in the pharmacy.

Advertisement