Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Employed

Options
  • 26-06-2015 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am a freelancer so I get hired out to do certain jobs, but my problem is that I'm not sure where I should register as self employed. I freelance in both Ireland and the UK so I'm not sure if I need to register as self employed in both countries? Surely that wouldn't make much sense as I would have to do that for every country I work in.

Any insight or experience on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

I'm not an expert but just your country of residence. I'm in a similar situation, work in the UK sometimes, get paid into my Irish account by UK companies and pay tax on it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 letitiamcc

Would that still be true if you also had a UK bank account that you are paid into by UK companies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Register with Revenue. Info and form to fill in here. Just did it myself a few weeks ago. You can earn up to 5000 euro per year as a self-employed person without having to pay PRSI but you still have to do a tax return obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Not too sure to be honest, I'd still have thought that you're only liable for taxation here assuming you have no place of residence in the UK. Would it not be just as easy to have the UK companies pay into your Irish account?

Thank you! I have only just got out of education so I'm having a bit of trouble figuring this all out, especially since we learned nothing like this in school.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It will depend on many things and you should probably get professional advice particularly if RCT is factor with seems to be a Revenue favourite at the minute.

letitiamcc wrote: »
    Thank you! I have only just got out of education so I'm having a bit of trouble figuring this all out, especially since we learned nothing like this in school.

Same boat as myself :) If you read up on the Revenue site and on welfare.ie too, they're actually really helpful. Takes a while to get your head around it but it's not too complicated.

My employment and payments come from Japan but I only need to be registered here for tax, not in Japan. So same for you with the UK, although I really don't know what sort of (if any) effect being paid into a UK bank account would have.

You should read up about VAT too. I don't need to charge it for the work I get from Japan but I would need to if the client was based in Ireland. You can register for it with that same form in any case. Gotta do some more reading on VAT myself actually!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It will depend on many things and you should probably get professional advice particularly if RCT is factor with seems to be a Revenue favourite at the minute.

Where exactly would I have to go to get advice?

Konata wrote: »
    Same boat as myself :) If you read up on the Revenue site and on welfare.ie too, they're actually really helpful. Takes a while to get your head around it but it's not too complicated.

My employment and payments come from Japan but I only need to be registered here for tax, not in Japan. So same for you with the UK, although I really don't know what sort of (if any) effect being paid into a UK bank account would have.

You should read up about VAT too. I don't need to charge it for the work I get from Japan but I would need to if the client was based in Ireland. You can register for it with that same form in any case. Gotta do some more reading on VAT myself actually!

Okay so as long as I have the payments paid into my Irish account, I can get away with just registering in Ireland. Do you know if it would it make a difference if I was temporally resident in the UK for any period of time?

I'll have to read up on VAT as well then. It's all too much! I did try ringing citizens advice and asking them, but they seemingly had no information about being self employed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Okay so as long as I have the payments paid into my Irish account, I can get away with just registering in Ireland. Do you know if it would it make a difference if I was temporally resident in the UK for any period of time?
    Seriously this is terrible advice coming from someone who does not know too much about your personal circumstances. You need someone that knows what they are talking about and can see the full picture of all of your circumstances.
    Where exactly would I have to go to get advice?
    Any qualified tax advisor

• Advertisement

I'll have to read up on VAT as well then. It's all too much! I did try ringing citizens advice and asking them, but they seemingly had no information about being self employed.

I have no idea as I said unfortunately! I only know that you only need to register for tax here under ordinary circumstances even if you receive money from many different countries. I think that you should seek advice from an accountant regarding your slightly different situation - it'd be well worth the investment just to get a definite and straight answer!

Advertisement