Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duties changed in work after 2 years due to other staffs laziness

Options
  • 26-06-2015 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi,

I am just looking for advice on behalf of a friend who works in hospitality.

She is on a full time contract for over 2 years as an accommodation assistant. Since she started working there, she worked 2-3 days a week filling a specific job that only 1 person out all 30 accommodation assistants do. She does this on the days when the accommodation assistant who does it for 4-5 days a week is on off days.

However a new manager started 3 months ago. This manager hired a new guy to work in her department who happens to be the boyfriend of a colleague the new manager is very friendly with. He isn't good at his job and constantly needs other people to help and is given less jobs than other people.

Now the new manager has stopped giving my friend those days doing that specific job and is giving them to the new guy instead. My friend has a few issues about this:

1. When he is given this job he does it badly. She has photographic evidence of this and complaints from the other team members.

2. She liked doing this job 2 - 3 days a week and finds it unfair that it has been taken off her and given to someone else. She has spoken to the manager who told her that the new guy is not able to do the regular job and so he gets this easier job instead of her. And has admitted that she does this job much better but because the new guy is not good enough to do the difficult job, he gets it now instead.

3. Normally training takes 2 - 3 weeks but it's been 3 months so it is not reasonable that he should be given easier tasks because he is not good. He is not new.He is given less rooms to clean than anyone else and when she said this to the manager the manger denied this. So when she requested to see the room lists to prove the manager was telling the truth, the manager went red and refused. (These lists are available at the start of each day for all to see so not confidential)

4. She spoke to the manager twice about this and the manger did nothing so she went to hr. After this the manager got mad at her for going to hr. The manager then told her that she should be happy that she is getting morning shifts and not complaining about losing her days to the new guy. She then went on to say that she will delegate people the way she wants and this way all the work gets done so she will do it anyway she wants and will not give my friend her days back. My friend got the strong impression from the way she spoke that it was if you don't like it, then quit but the manager did not specifically state this.

5. Because my friend is good at her job, she feels she is being punished and the job she likes is being taken off her and given to a guy who is not good at his job.

My friend is just wondering is the manager allowed to change her duties like this? Everyone is on the same contract so it is not a contractual thing in that his contract says he will do those tasks.

Also she is wondering is it allowed that this new employee is allowed get away with so much. After she went to hr he was put on training with her for a day for the job he is basically taking from her which is unheard of in her hotel to go on training after the first month (the job isn't rocket science)

Anyways sorry about the essay, hope someone has some advice for me :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

She's got nothing to really complain about tbh, doing so might make her the nuisance employee

There certainly doesn't seem to be any illegality in what is going on

And tbh it sounds like she's being extremely petty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

qwerty1991 wrote: »
    Anyways sorry about the essay, hope someone has some advice for me :)

Dont you mean advice for your freind ;)

No leg to stand on here. Changing peole around is something I dk all the time. Having more than two people with the ability to do task/role(s) is a must. Should someone leave you can fill their space without the usual 'I never did that before' from whom ever you choose to fill the gap.

Also becareful with photography in the work places. I know where I work taking pictures of other peoples work is frowned upon and does nothing for your status.

You don't know this guys situation. If you do you haven't said. Your manager may know, showing photos of his work will surely end badly.

Lastly, beware what 'everyone' else says. I was burned with this before. Damaged my position in previous company when, when I stood up at an All hands meeting and said what everyone (11 people) had agreed,wheb the GM asked does anyone else agree. SILENCE.....1

Advertisement