Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Estuary

Options
  • 26-06-2015 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I keep meaning to explore the Shannon Estuary in terms of gettig a few nice pictures. Is there anywhere anyone would recommend? Google searches dont return much in the way of loop walsk or scenery.

I'd like to head down the south side to Foynes or beyond. Is there any little hidden backroads etc that might take me to the water ? It's the Shannon Estaury FGS, there must be some stunning scenery around to be captured during a sun set ?

Any tips greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

try kerry head for night time locations there is a walking loop around there that is good no light pollution.

look at glin (pier has a broken down wooden pier) and look at carrigafoyle castle and saleen pier for photo locations .

Meenaguhaun (sp?) pier near causeway from a kerrry pov

have a look at foynes

Askeaton has an abbey and castle too so good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Thanks sheesh. I drove down there last night and got some lovely big skies - light / clouds. I kept turning right down country lanes off the main road and found one or two lovely places. I also stopped off at that ruined pier you mention although its hard to shoot because they have atall wall built to keep people away from it.

353334.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

A few others you could try: Beale strand - at low tide you can see the ribs of the Thetis which ran aground in a sand bar plus large expanses of sand/sea/sky. There are often large tankers/container ships to be seen. Carrig Island might also be worth a visit (you can drive on across a bridge) - there is a Napoleonic era gun battery there and views out to the estuary. Beagh castle and pier is a nice spot although it can be busy in the summer/good weather. A little further round the coast from Beagh is a small secluded pier which I thought was rather nice (rough coords: 52.649266, -8.973914).
    There are some nice looped walks in Glin: the Knights Walk brings you up to a nice viewing point over the estuary as well. (http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/glin-heritage-trails-knight-s-walk/90971). Some nice spots on the Clare side too it has to be said ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ringmoylan Pier is opposite Shannon Airport then about a 10min drive from there Beagh Castle is further west. From there you can head to Askeaton and the Abbey.

Head back the N69, turn right as if turning for Aughinish but turn right again rather than entering to factory. There's a left turn than brings you down to the shore. Be careful as I think hide tide blocks you in. Head into the field on your right and then towards the shore, there's a bird hide there.

Further west, you could turn off the N69 towards Shannagolden, then right and you'll get an elevated view of the estuary.

You could also head via Cratloe to Gallows Hill for an elevated view of the Estuary, the city and Shannon Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Great info, thank you so much folks. I might head back out there Friday evening, if the light is decent. If anyone wants to tag along let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Cheers from me for all the tips, too — that drive along the estuary is one of my favourite routes for a short hop on the motorbike, and I've often meant to bring the camera bag with me and make it a more leisurely/purposeful day out. But I didn't know any of these names...

I made a Google map taking in most of the above suggestions, if anyone wants to use it? (hope the link works!)

http://bit.ly/1FKMv8r

Shur even the feckin' Google van can't take a bad photo, in some of those spots! :p

aEeg9DUl.jpg?1

Advertisement