Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Night Sky - Sony Alpha 100

Options
  • 26-06-2015 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I want to take a photo of the Milky Way using a Sony Alpha 100 and I need some help setting up the camera.

I'm a complete amateur, so I'm looking for detailed step-by-step instructions (set this button / press this to go to menu etc.) regarding setting up the camera. I have a tripod and a shutter release.

Thanks,
    T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I want to take a photo of the Milky Way using a Sony Alpha 100 and I need some help setting up the camera.

I'm a complete amateur, so I'm looking for detailed step-by-step instructions (set this button / press this to go to menu etc.) regarding setting up the camera. I have a tripod and a shutter release.

Thanks,
    T

First of all you will want to be away from light as much as possible .

A rough setup for a milky way shot would be as follows.

1- Manual mode
    2- Manual focus , set focus to infinity by looking at a distant light.
    3- ISO - 1600, 3200 if in a dark enough location.
    4- f3.5 or below ( if lens is capable )
    5- Shutter speed , 25-30 seconds ( depending on how wide ur focal length can go )

All done on a tripod with the shutter cable .
    You also will need there to be little or no moon around as you will just get a blown out shot otherwise.

Hope this helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭pinkfloydian

Many Thanks Iancar29

Have you any idea how to make those settings on a Sony Alpha 100?

T

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭pinkfloydian

Although I was grateful for the assistance, I'm afraid I struggled with the instructions e.g. "hold the exposure compensation button and turn the dial to select aperture"
    I'm looking for a "Dummy's Guide"

T

Advertisement