Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of contract terms after start date

Options
  • 26-06-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

I think I might know the answer to this already but thought it worth checking. Im currently in an IT contracting role which was advertised and interviewed for as an 11 month contract.

Literally during the first week of the contract I was told actually HR had changed their mind and it was in fact a 9 month contract. I was told there would be a possibility to extend it but we'd see nearer the time.

Im 4 months into it now and have just heard back its going to only be 9 months. Im far from an expert on these things but I would have thought for a contract to exist both parties need to agree on it. I signed and agreed to take on an 11 month contract, not a 9 month contract.

I dont want to kick up a fuss or make waves but it'd just be nice to know where I stand. My fear is that even if they are obliged to honor the contract that I signed they may just decide to give me a months notice and terminate it early so I'm thinking perhaps I'm just better off keeping my mouth shut and being happy with the 9 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you an employee (have PAYE taken out of your wages) on a temporary contract? If so, then within the first year you can be let go for no reason with a month's notice. So keeping quiet is probably best.

Or a real contractor (submit monthly invoices, manage your own tax)? In which case your contract probably has a break clause at any point anyways, but I'm happy to move the thread to Entrepreneurship & Business Management if you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Im a contractor, so I submit my invoices and look after my own tax.

Yep I figured there be a termination/break clause anyway so even if they were forced to honor the 11 months they could break it at 9. Plus my concern would be if I started making waves it could be broken even earlier.

Advertisement