Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food costs in Cork?

Options
  • 26-06-2015 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering how much I should budget per school year (10 months) in Cork for food (supermarket shopping)? I will probably not be eating out at all unless for really special occasions as I do not come from a wealthy background.

Would 2000 Euros be enough to cover groceries for 10 months to eat healthily but not starve?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Jlayay wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering how much I should budget per school year (10 months) in Cork for food (supermarket shopping)? I will probably not be eating out at all unless for really special occasions as I do not come from a wealthy background.

Would 2000 Euros be enough to cover groceries for 10 months to eat healthily but not starve?

Thanks.
    It could definitely be done if you stick to Lidl/Aldi and shop smartly in Super Valu.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stardollz

For the college year, I went to the butchers once a month and stocked up. I bought pork, beef etc and cut them into daily sized portions. If you take the time to seperate it all out into individual food bags and freeze them then there will be no waste.

Aside from that, I generally spent between €25 and €40 a week on other groceries and toiletries. I am gluten free so my shopping would be more expensive than most.

You can shop on a budget, you just need to be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stardollz

For the college year, I went to the butchers once a month and stocked up. I bought pork, beef etc and cut them into daily sized portions. If you take the time to seperate it all out into individual food bags and freeze them then there will be no waste.

Aside from that, I generally spent between €25 and €40 a week on other groceries and toiletries. I am gluten free so my shopping would be more expensive than most.

You can shop on a budget, you just need to be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

Jlayay wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.
    Go for the simple nutritious stuff and watch out for supermarket promotions. Stores' own brands are usually that bit cheaper and generally of decent quality.

Advertisement