Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert subjects

Options
  • 25-06-2015 11:25pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 20

Hi I'm going into 3rd Year this year and I'm starting to think about my LC subjects. This is what I'm thinking about doing so can you tell me a bit about the subject? Oh and I want to be a primary school teacher when I'm older.
    *All HL*
    English
    Maths
    Irish
    Music
    French
    Biology
    Accounting

I'm not sure whether to do business/accounting but currently I'm leaning towards accounting. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ecoste

business is much easier imo, if i were you, i would strongly consider taking business instead of accounting. (i did my lc this summer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Those subjects seem fine for what you want to do after school.

How strong with Maths are you? You're doing it at HL so you obviously have a high standard. If you plan on doing Accounting you would want to have a fairly high standard of Maths and be comfortable with numbers and have an interest in Maths. I never studied Accounting but everyone in my year who did well in HL Accounting were also fairly handy at HL Maths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're interested in primary teaching, could you look at the possibility of doing either History or Geography?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Troxck wrote: »

How strong with Maths are you? You're doing it at HL so you obviously have a high standard. If you plan on doing Accounting you would want to have a fairly high standard of Maths and be comfortable with numbers and have an interest in Maths. I never studied Accounting but everyone in my year who did well in HL Accounting were also fairly handy at HL Maths.

I was hopeless at maths so I dropped down to OL but maintained an A/B standard in accounting because I enjoyed numbers. Even if you're not great at maths, accounting can be a good practical subject to take a break from the heavy learning of others.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 20 Lykkelig

ecoste wrote: »
    business is much easier imo, if i were you, i would strongly consider taking business instead of accounting. (i did my lc this summer)

I think I'd like a break from the theory based subjects and I like the accounting we've done so far. Is the business course long?

• Advertisement

Troxck wrote: »

I usually get Bs in maths and sometimes I get As so I think I'd be okay with the maths

spurious wrote: »
    If you're interested in primary teaching, could you look at the possibility of doing either History or Geography?

I like history but I think I'd struggle with writing all the essays and geography is going to be my 5th/6th subject in case I don't get one of my top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

I always hear people saying how music is a great thing to have when applying for Primary school teacher jobs. Sounds good to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Peg14 wrote: »
    I always hear people saying how music is a great thing to have when applying for Primary school teacher jobs. Sounds good to me!

I think it's the performance aspect might be the clincher though, i.e. ability to take a choir (esp for communions or confirmations etc!) or maybe accompany on guitar/piano! Although if you don't have LC music you might need to have some evidence of performing or conducting on your CV.

The AOIC run week long summer courses in conducting every year... really good to get you going and it's proof of intent. I've met 5th/6th year students on that course who were thinking about going into Primary teaching.

In saying all that, LC music has statistically a high honours achievement record...so it's good for the points.

Stick with the honours maths if possible just in case, this was thrown around a lot last year honours-maths-mandatory-for-primary-teachers. Dunno if it'll ever come to pass but I think it'd look good on a CV compared to the other non-core subjects.

I think there's a good spread of subjects there even if you didn't go into teaching... did you choose it purposefully to have a variety or are they your strongest subjects?

It's a tough slog to get a job in teaching at the moment so be prepared to be in it for the long haul before any type of full-time job pops up (like 5 years after you graduate!). It's a little easier to get full-time permanent work abroad from it though if you don't mind travelling and not a 'home bird'.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I think it's the performance aspect might be the clincher though, i.e. ability to take a choir (esp for communions or confirmations etc!) or maybe accompany on guitar/piano! Although if you don't have LC music you might need to have some evidence of performing or conducting on your CV.

The AOIC run week long summer courses in conducting every year... really good to get you going and it's proof of intent. I've met 5th/6th year students on that course who were thinking about going into Primary teaching.

In saying all that, LC music has statistically a high honours achievement record...so it's good for the points.

Stick with the honours maths if possible just in case, this was thrown around a lot last year []. Dunno if it'll ever come to pass but I think it'd look good on a CV compared to the other non-core subjects.

I think there's a good spread of subjects there even if you didn't go into teaching... did you choose it purposefully to have a variety or are they your strongest subjects?

It's a tough slog to get a job in teaching at the moment so be prepared to be in it for the long haul before any type of full-time job pops up (like 5 years after you graduate!). It's a little easier to get full-time permanent work abroad from it though if you don't mind travelling and not a 'home bird'.

The conducting thing seems like fun and I'll look into it in 5th year! They're all my strongest subjects and I like them all too so I suppose it's just a bonus that they're varied :L I think I'd like to go abroad when I'm older to teach, my cousin has been teaching abroad for the past few years and he loves it!
    Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement