Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting wood floors white

Options
  • 25-06-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have finished pitch pine floors upstairs in a house I have just bought. I would like to paint the floors white. What is the best and easiest way to go about this with maximum results? I know ideally I should sand off the finish already on the floor but is this necessary? What sort of paint should be applied to the floor, I want to use white or something near it. As with finishing floors traditionally do I need to use a sealer/varnish with a hardener added?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You're mad to paint pitch pine floors; they're really expensive!

But if you really want to, give the floors two coats of BIN, it will dry very quickly, then give it an undercoat of oil paint and whatever finish coat you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Reenergise

Thank you for that fussyonion. What is BIN? never heard of it to be honest. The oil paint you refer to is this just any oil based undercoat paint, white I presume??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

BIN primer. You'll get it in hard ware shops, or anywhere that sells paint really!
    I've used it on a wood panel ceiling, and it took ages, because I had to do all the joints with a brush, Because a roller wouldn't get into them. If I had my time back, I'd just have plaster boarded over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Reenergise wrote: »
    Thank you for that fussyonion. What is BIN? never heard of it to be honest. The oil paint you refer to is this just any oil based undercoat paint, white I presume??

This is BIN here: http://www.hardwareireland.ie/product/zinsser-bin-primer-sealer/

It's a sealer/primer.

Yes, any oil based undercoat will do.

What kind of finish are you looking for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

Reenergise wrote: »

B-I-N primer by Zinsser is a alcohol based shellac primer. It cures in about 45 minutes and has fantastic adhesion and stain blocking. If you are going to the bother of painting your floor then you should really sand the surface first otherwise it doesn't matter what primer you use, the paint will just chip off the floor over time. Once you have painted your floor you should use a clear floor varnish to add protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Tikkurila betolux.

Advertisement