Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford - BRENNAN, BROWN(E)

Options
  • 25-06-2015 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I know the fathers of the bride and groom from an 1865 marriage at St. Aidan's - the fathers were Thomas Brennan and Thomas Brown(e) - from the civil registration. I am looking for the maiden names of their wives, and the given names of siblings of the bride and groom (John Brennan, Margaret Brown).

Maybe the parish records coming out at NLI on July will help (marriage, then baptisms). However, when I checked Griffiths (1853) on both sides of the river, I couldn't find either father. I did find a "widow Brown," so would that indicate that at least Thomas Brennan may have moved to Enniscorthy from somewhere else between 1853 and 1865?

I didn't see them in the Tithe Applotments either, although I know that was more limited.

Also, the bride and groom were living at 100 and 139 Shannon in 1865 when they were married, which I assume was their parents' homes, then 427 The Shannon Quay when their first child was born in 1866. Does anyone know if there is any chance that I can find those addresses today? I seriously doubt it, but I will be going to Enniscorthy this summer, just curious.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Not everybody was listed on Griffiths - what occupation was given for Thomas at the time of the 1865 marriage ?

I dont think the numbers would be the same today, are you certain about the 427 ?
    Very few addresses have numbers that big...

The current OSI Map shows a '100' The Shannon - see here Back in the 1890s it was seems to have been beside a Smithy

The number sequence for The Shannon appears to run north-east to south-west, consecutive numbers on the south side past Armstrong's Range, and then runs back along the north side to near the Railway. I dont see a number 139, but if there was one, and the sequence is the same now, it would have been just east of where the new medical centre is now.

see estimated location on the c1890 OSI map

p.s. you can see Shannon Quay here. The townland these streets are located in is named Templeshannon, it's the part of Enniscorthy to the east of the river Slaney..

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DougB

shanew wrote: »
    Not everybody was listed on Griffiths - what occupation was given for Thomas at the time of the 1865 marriage ?

I dont think the numbers would be the same today, are you certain about the 427 ?
    Very few addresses have numbers that big...

Thanks for your posts and links, Shanew.

Thomas Brennan is listed as a weaver, and Thomas Brown(e) is listed as a laborer, in the 1865 marriage regis.

I checked the civil regis again for the 1866 birth, the address was actually 427 The Shannon (not the Quay); but it seems pretty clear that the number is 427.

Thanks

If they were farmers I would have said likely to appear on Griffith's, but with these occupations and especially since they were living in a town, it's quite possible they would not be listed due to living circumstances. People living in tenements, renting rooms, sharing accommodation are not usually recorded, and the property would be listed under the owner or primary lessor, sometimes the building occupants appears as 'lodgers'.

The Shannon runs east to the edge of the townland of Templeshannon, to Drumgold road (Drumgold townland), so could probably have had additional numbers, but I'm not sure 400 would fit ... maybe the numbers skipped ?

If the street is of particular interest maybe it might be worth tracing it through the Cancelled Land Books in the Valuation Office to confirm the property changes, lessors etc in the years after Griffiths was taken for this area. Did your Brennan, Brown family stay in the town ?

Griffith's records just under 60 properties under 'The Shannon' as part of Templeshannon townland, and in Slater's 1870 (under 'TempleShannon') the highest numbers mentioned seem to be in the 30s.

• Advertisement

First, thanks Shanew for all of this. The OSI layers are great, it will make my visit to the town much more interesting and meaningful, although I doubt the buildings will be c. 1860, but who knows.

I am having trouble cutting/pasting excerpts from your post above, so in reply:

1. My particular Brennan's (John, married Margaret Brown in 1865) left Enniscorthy in 1868 with two young children, ending up Chicago. Their last address was "Killogoley," in 1868, which I understand is a townland just south of Enniscorthy on the same side of the river. That's from the civil registration of the birth of their second child.

2. I don't know if any others stayed, I haven't pursued that yet, maybe I should. That is something to look into on the US side of things, I don't know why that never occurred to me. Also, I could check for other Brennan's and Browns in Chicago, living near my Brennan's. I know that there has been a lot of "chain emigration" by families over the years.

3. I suppose I could check the 1901 Irish Census, mainly for siblings since the parents were probably deceased by then.

4. As to your suggestion to possibly check the Cancelled Land Books, I would think that my relatives wouldn't be likely to show up there since they didn't make it into Griffiths so would be very unlikely to be owners/lessors sometime in the future?

Many thanks.

I was thinking even if the revaluation books didn't mention specific names of interest, they might help give some idea of the layout of the street/townland. I have my doubts about the numbers being street numbers ... especially the 427

Thanks, I'll put that on my to-do list

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Just to note that the surname is almost always spelt Browne in that area.

Advertisement