Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to sew a turn up on trousers

Options
  • 25-06-2015 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭

So I recently bought a pair of chinos but they are a little long. As luck would have it, they have a cuff that can be turned inside as well, which makes them the perfect length.

Can anyone advise the best way to sew these so they stay up, or should I just bring them to an alterations place? Was going to see if I could get wonder web but it may not be strong enough for chino material.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I use wonder web first then I sew invisible stitches when its wonder webbed.

How you do invisible stitches is you make sure the stitches are tiny on the side that the world sees and then let them be long stitches on the inside where no one sees.

I do a lot of minor alterations of my own clothes though as most things are too long for me. If an alteration place was cheap then let them do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Great idea, a turnup adds a bit of visual interest to the end of the leg and adds weight to help the fabric hang better. I would take them to a good tailor though as you need to get the length absolutely spot on with turnups. Also a tailor will angle them slightly so that they're longer and the back and slightly short at the front so they don't get tangled in your shoe laces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

lizzyman wrote: »
    Great idea, a turnup adds a bit of visual interest to the end of the leg and adds weight to help the fabric hang better. I would take them to a good tailor though as you need to get the length absolutely spot on with turnups. Also a tailor will angle them slightly so that they're longer and the back and slightly short at the front so they don't get tangled in your shoe laces.

Well actually I'm turning them *inside* rather than an outside turn up, as I don't really like the look of them with the cuff. They are actually folded so they are pretty easy to turn up, I just want to make sure they don't slip down.

I might try the "invisible" sewing but should probably just get them done in an alterations place (probably doesn't need a full tailoring service as they don't need to be measured).

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I use wonder web first then I sew invisible stitches when its wonder webbed.

How you do invisible stitches is you make sure the stitches are tiny on the side that the world sees and then let them be long stitches on the inside where no one sees. .

Where can I get wonder web?

Where can I get wonder web?

You might get it in a good supermarket like Tescos, otherwise somewhere like Hickeys.

Youd be mad going to a tailor for such a minor alteration IMO.

• Advertisement

You might get it in a good supermarket like Tescos, otherwise somewhere like Hickeys.

If I can avoid it, I will. Thanks, will try shops.

Not if you want them angled so that the back just touches the heel of your shoe and the front sits above the laces.

lizzyman wrote: »
    Not if you want them angled so that the back just touches the heel of your shoe and the front sits above the laces.

I cant imagine why someone would want them angled so. I dont think Ive ever bought a pair of trousers with "angled" cuffs. An easy thing to do yourself either tbh, but hardly worth the extra effort. IMO.

Horses for courses, depends on the trousers too. Slim fitting / smaller opening can sit a little higher than looser / wider trousers and look ok.

The chinos are somewhere in the middle so I'm OK with them sitting "straight".

Just wondering OP how you got on with sewing the chinos? I have a pair that are too long so I wouldn't mind having a go at doing the turn ups myself rather than going to the tailor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Buy a pack of coloured thread. If it matches the cloth, nobody will see it.

I just used the wonder web. Worked a treat.

I just used the wonder web. Worked a treat.

You should always sew as well as wonder web as it doesnt last through a lot of washes.

Advertisement