Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the reputation of your college matter for computing ?

Options
  • 25-06-2015 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Does the reputation of your college matter for computing?

I'm just curious to know, that if i did this course in TCD, this course in DIT, or this course in NCI, would it make a difference where i did my degree, if i was good enough for a job. For example would an employer pick a programmer with a 2:1 from TCD over a better programmer from DIT or NCI.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Does the reputation of your college matter for computing?

I'm just curious to know, that if i did this course in TCD, this course in DIT, or this course in NCI, would it make a difference where i did my degree, if i was good enough for a job. For example would an employer pick a programmer with a 2:1 from TCD over a better programmer from DIT or NCI.

Thanks

From my own experience - no it wont make a bit of difference. For the majority of employers, a degree is just something to get you an interview, What you learn in college is so standard, that no matter where you go college wise, it wont matter. What will impress a future employer is showing an interest in programming, doing stuff outside of college, building a portfolio of work, take a look at something like GitHub and try and contribute to it if possible etc.
    A degree is something a HR person will look for - but the head of development or lead programmer wont care, they will want you to show an interest and be able to show some practical examples.

Advertisement