Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a big white folding reflector as a backdrop - lost of wrinkles! How to remove?

Options
  • 25-06-2015 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi there, I just did a quick portrait shoot with a friend using one of those huge collapsible 5in1 reflectors.

I used the white side as the background, but there are too many wrinkles. It's also quite reflective- it's a plasticy polyester sort of material. You probably know the type.

I have two speedlites - one pointed at the subject at the usual 45 degrees and down 45 degrees in a 50cmx50cm softbox.

One reflector filling in shadows on the face at the left.

One reflective umbrella pointed at the white backdrop - the plan was to blow it out so I couldn't see wrinkles. but they are still there.

Do I need to buy another speedlite and point it at the backdrop? or do I just need a proper backdrop? I can't buy a roll of paper as it won't fit in the car. and muslin sounds like a nightmare for wrinkles. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 greasychips

edit: oops sorry. just a test post.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Logie-1

Another speed light on the background set at 2 stops higher than the others will blow it out. You can fix it in photoshop also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I use the photoshop portraiture plugin to smooth backgrounds.

Mask off the background, clickity click, perfectly smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 greasychips

I use the photoshop portraiture plugin to smooth backgrounds.

Mask off the background, clickity click, perfectly smooth.

That would be perfect for baldy people, but what about bits of hair? Does it mask around them ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Yea, Tis grand, You can reduce the opacity but I just tend to fluff the edges around the hair area on the mask if there is anything weird. I actually find it works great for cleaning up stray hair so often don't bother.

To add I used this guys video as a base for doing it

• Advertisement
Advertisement