Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to snow suit in car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

We have a blanket that sits in the car seat and the straps feed through it, nice and cosy, it's a morrck. We got it as a present so not sure of prices but it comes from the UK! its brilliant although haven't been using it the last few weeks with the good weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What are these for? I've never seen them before. Look like something you bring skiing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

The Morrck ones are the ones I've seen recommended in the past, they come in a lovely range of styles.

Personally we never bothered with anything for the car, even though our baby was born in winter - if anything, we just threw a normal blanket on over the straps for the first few minutes until the car heated up enough. Unless you have a baby who really likes being wrapped up all the time, I probably wouldn't bother with anything like that, especially at this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

We wouldnt have her wrapped up in it in the car but its for when we transfer the car seat to buggy we can wrap her up and saves other blankets, can be used in the buggy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭foodaholic

pwurple wrote: »
    What are these for? I've never seen them before. Look like something you bring skiing!

It's not recommended to put a child in the a car seat with a outdoor/pram suit on as the car seat doesn't tighten correctly.

• Advertisement

Just seen the wallaboo ones - they look fab

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

a car seat swaddle might do? Then when the car is warm you can unwrap them for comfort.

They are very easy to make so if you want more info I can pm you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

foodaholic wrote: »
    It's not recommended to put a child in the a car seat with a outdoor/pram suit on as the car seat doesn't tighten correctly.

So these are coat replacements.

I'd use a normal blanket if we needed it. But it's so mild in Cork maybe, I've never had to use a coat or a blanket in a car. Are you sure you need one in June/July? I'd be worried about overheating.

Baby's due in October so just getting bits and bobs sorted. The car seat guidelines stated no padded coats so it got me thinking

My sowing skills are woeful girls so will be better buying

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Baby's due in October so just getting bits and bobs sorted. The car seat guidelines stated no padded coats so it got me thinking

My sowing skills are woeful girls so will be better buying

I'd say they mean the really padded coats like this.

The swaddle blanket I made is much thinner. Its 3 layers so very warm, but the wadding is at most, 2mm thick when unquilted.

I found that having a little hoody, separate hat, and a cosy blanket tucked up to underarm generally kept the baby very toasty. The hat and blanket would come off in the car then.

If your car seat forms part of your buggy, bear in mind going in and out of warm shops, you'll want to remove layers and you wont want to wrestle a snow suit off a sleeping baby, then on again in 15 mins. On my maternity leave I'd hop on the bus into town and the blanket would be on and off the child all the time going in and out of shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I got presents of about six of these and my daughter hated them. She hated swaddling too so maybe hold on until your baby arrives. I just did little soft coat, long sleeved vest, baby gro and cardigan if needed. Easy to remove and add on layers as necessary and carried some cellular blankets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I used a morrck for my march baby. Loved it. Could just unwrap when car got hot in the car or when i was going in and out of warm shops. Was also like a protector for the seat. My guy was a spewer in the early days and it was great only whipping off that to wash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Loved the Morrck one for our baby too. And if you're due in October you'll get great use from it. I'd say they're good for 6-8 months so not worth it during the summer but def for winter. Even for coming home from the hospital they're great - don't uderestimate how hard it is to even get padded suits on a newborn, even without the car seat/padded coat issue. I think they look much cozier than the ones that go around the frame of car seat because with the Morrck one the child themselves is wrapped so the cold air can't get around the wrap.

I found it great if I was going somewhere and baby fell asleep. Eg a cafe, and you can unwrap the front of it then without waking the child. We never put coats on our little girl if we were using the car seat and she was born in December! Hat a Morrck wrap all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Plus one on the Morrck, think they are great.

Also on padded coats what they recommend if you are unsure whether it's safe to keep the baby in it for car seat is the following: Put the coat on baby and tighten harness in car seat. Then take the coat off the baby, put them back in the car seat and close the harness without tightening or loosening the harness. If you can fit two fingers (or is it one?) under the strap at the shoulder, the coat is unsafe.

Have to say the more I read up on it I think they are a great idea - no trying to put coats on and off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

. I'd say they're good for 6-8 months so not worth it during the summer but def for winter. [/quote]

I duno. I got longer out of it. I obviously didnt use it all summer but put it in the buggy for the winter along with foot muff on those really cold frosty days . Was treat to wrap him up in even 9/10mnths old . I reckon i used it in buggy up to about 12mnths. Didnt fit aswell then but was good extra layer as it came down across his shoulders and kept him nice and cosy. And my guy is a big lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I was looking to get an alternative to a snow suit for the car seat. So far the only brand I've seen is ruby and ginger.
    http://www.rubyandginger.co.uk/the-original-cosy-car-seat-cover

Are there any other brands out there ?

I used one of these all last winter and it was the best thing ever. My little girl was super snug at all times and there was no faffing about with suits when we were inside (e.g. Shopping centre) it just slipped off easily which was great when she was asleep. Mine cost only €35 and I've recommended it to everyone.

Advertisement