Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for Young Tourists in Dublin and across Ireland

Options
  • 25-06-2015 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

I couldn't find the best forum for asking this question, so ended up in the default After Hours. Hopefully some of the young people around here are willing to give some advice among the expected jokes.
    A couple of friends from Scandinavia are in Ireland for a few days, just arrived, and are looking for ideas of things to do. They are 21, so they are looking for things to do that people enjoy at that age (I am waaay too old to even think about that).
    So. what are your suggestions of things to do, in Dublin or elsewhere in the country over the next week?
    Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Avoid Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

How long are they over for? A visit to Galway and if weather permitting, Lahinch can be savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Send them on the Viking tour around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

One week
    PARlance wrote: »

Yes, I thought of Galway and Ring of Kerry. Lahinch sounds good too.
    theteal wrote: »
    How long are they over for? A visit to Galway and if weather permitting, Lahinch can be savage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Send them for a weeks stay in beautiful Longford town, such attractions as the ring road road, Longford arms, main st and some great ale houses. Longford has it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭RayCon

Zynks wrote: »
    They are 21, so they are looking for things to do that people enjoy at that age (I am waaay too old to even think about that).

Sex, drugs, music and arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

A BBQ or picnic with some drinks in powerscourt waterfall is nice on a sunny day. Expensive to get in but they could kill off a day in there. I have kids though so more able to tolerate periods of boredom if they're playing rather than hassling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

21? Coppers Face Jacks

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

flagons of cider and swimming at the stunning banks of the Grand Canal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Take a tour of the liffey boardwalk meet the friendly locals. Make sure to have all smartphones money available for inspection. Try a reasonably priced beer circa €7 In pubs complaining they are going out of business. Sure if you don't drink try one of their reasonably priced cokes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Howth and Malahide are lovely. If you bring them to Dun Laoghaire dont forget to introduce them to the local junkies, then have dinner in the Miami cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Knacker drinking on the banks of the royal followed by lobbing gear inside tennis ball over the walls of the joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Would they be interested in a few days experiencing some of the more physical aspects of our traditions, a more sort of hands-on working holiday if you would? If they're from Scandinavia they know all about midges already, so no worries there.

I think a few cans on the boardwalk in the fair city would be a good starting point.

Would they be interested in a few days experiencing some of the more physical aspects of our traditions, a more sort of hands-on working holiday if you would? If they're from Scandinavia they know all about midges already, so no worries there.

I am wondering whether I should ask for more information...

Howth and Malahide are lovely. If you bring them to Dun Laoghaire dont forget to introduce them to the local junkies, then have dinner in the Miami cafe

Howth and a trip to Ireland's Eye - if the gore fire didn't destroy the place, could be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Howth and a trip to Ireland's Eye - if the gore fire didn't destroy the place, could be a good idea.
    I was out there today, its a beautiful area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

A trip out to one of our horse racing tracks. Never gets a mention but a grand day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I really like Dublin, but definitely make sure they don't spend the majority of their time there- if they've only a week I'd be spending 2 days max in Dublin.

Head to Kilkenny for a night, then Clare for two nights (Lahinch, Cliffs of Moher, could do a ferry to the Aran Islands) and then Kerry for two nights (Killarney, Dingle, Slea Head), West Cork for one night if they've time and maybe then go through Cashel on the way back to Dublin.

I know there are loads of other amazing places to see in Galway, Mayo, Donegal, Antrim, Wexford and so much more but you'd need so much more than a week.

• Advertisement

They were following this thread and they are near Killarney on bikes. From the pictures I've seen they are having a wonderful time. Thanks all for the ideas, even the not so serious ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Dolphin's Barn is well worth a visit.

Always amazes me that not many tourists know that Dublin has a giant barn full of dolphins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

go to the maherees in kerry and learn to kite surf?

you can learn to sail or Kayak in fenit Co. kerry.

Would they go hiking?

sheesh wrote: »
    go to the maherees in kerry and learn to kite surf?

you can learn to sail or Kayak in fenit Co. kerry.

Would they go hiking?

I checked the Maherees just now, never heard of them. I must have a look at that myself.

I will need to check with them for the water sports. That's the kind of stuff I would certainly be into.

As for the hiking, they probably would. What do you have in mind?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Dolphin's Barn is well worth a visit.

Always amazes me that not many tourists know that Dublin has a giant barn full of dolphins.

They might as well go and see Harold's Cross as they would be so close. Almost as big as The Angel Of The North.

Darndale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I checked the Maherees just now, never heard of them. I must have a look at that myself.

I will need to check with them for the water sports. That's the kind of stuff I would certainly be into.

As for the hiking, they probably would. What do you have in mind?

Thanks!

3 day hike from Tralee to Dingle on the dingle way or on any part of it you get a pilgrim passsport and get stamps along the way it makes for a good momento too

mount brandon is a good day hike can be approached from the harder more spectacular cloghane side or the easier western side.

the walk from cloghane to feohanagh was mentioned in National geographic at some stage it has pretty amazing views of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Stay the **** out of my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

PARlance wrote: »

For that feeling of Deja Vu.

• Advertisement
Advertisement