Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Fifth Year?

Options
  • 25-06-2015 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi guys,

This is my first post on boards.ie. I was wondering should I repeat fifth year?

I decided to skip Transition Year and go straight into fifth but things didn't go my way. I was having problems with choosing subjects in my old school so i left for a well known fee paying school. I have ADHD, ASD and wide range of other problems, which would affect my performance in exams. I was doing quite bad and got very low marks for my standards (C3's in most my subjects, failing my best subject and getting a ng in my HL maths paper). I did so bad I went down to 6 subjects (HL Maths, Biology, Physics, German, Geography and HL English). And things couldn't get any worse had to take two months off after Christmas due to deaths of a few close family members and when I returned to school for my summer exams I failed all my exams and was turned off the week or two leading to them. I don't know what to do despite the circumstances( I'm afraid i'll lose all my friends but I struggle to make them) . I'm not bad at any of the subject that I picked but had to pick a language ( German but i'm able to get exempt from it) but i'm not sure if I should continue on to 6th Year. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

You'd be better off repeating 6th year if needs be than repeating 5th year "just in case".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

dublad2k15 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

This is my first post on boards.ie. I was wondering should I repeat fifth year?

I decided to skip Transition Year and go straight into fifth but things didn't go my way. I was having problems with choosing subjects in my old school so i left for a well known fee paying school. I have ADHD, ASD and wide range of other problems, which would affect my performance in exams. I was doing quite bad and got very low marks for my standards (C3's in most my subjects, failing my best subject and getting a ng in my HL maths paper). I did so bad I went down to 6 subjects (HL Maths, Biology, Physics, German, Geography and HL English). And things couldn't get any worse had to take two months off after Christmas due to deaths of a few close family members and when I returned to school for my summer exams I failed all my exams and was turned off e week or two leading to them. I don't know what to do despite the circumstances( I'm afraid i'll lose all my friends but I struggle to make them) . I'm not bad at any of the subject that I picked but had to pick a language ( German but i'm able to get exempt from it) but i'm not sure if I should continue on to 6th Year. Any advice would be appreciated!

You wont lose your friends for having bad grades.

Its hindsight now, but thats why transition year is there, so you can find your self.

I would finish, and study through the summer, and you can always repeat sixth year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

From the circumstances you mentioned above, repeating Fifth Year would probably be a better idea than continuing on into Sixth Year. You skipped TY so you'd be younger than most of those who you did Fifth Year with.

You'd have to have serious conversations with your parents/guardians with regards to repeating this year and also with the school, some allow it only under certain conditions and some not at all.

Starting Fifth Year again would give you a fresh start and you'd probably be more focussed this year with less external distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dublad2k15

syklops wrote: »
    You wont lose your friends for having bad grades.

Its hindsight now, but thats why transition year is there, so you can find your self.

I would finish, and study through the summer, and you can always repeat sixth year.

syklops- I fear that I might lose my friends if I repeat fifth year as all my friends are going into sixth year and I struggle to make friends with various no. of problems I have

troxck- Tea 2/3 ppl in my year did TY. I'm not a bad student but I've struggled due to the outside factors affecting my performance in exams. I was prepared for the leap from third to fifth year and I know what courses I want to go for but you can't predict stuff that could happen.

Advertisement