Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Subsonic long rifle bullets

Options
  • 24-06-2015 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

My knowledge on rifle's is limited enough, even though I do use the .22 quiet a bit. My question is, is it wrong to use a .22 subsonic long rifle bullet (I'm quoting what it says on the box) in a short barrell .22? It's a krico rifle.

Ive been out at rabbits quiet a bit in the last few weeks and last night I shot 3 rabbits at 50 yards, no problems. I then completely missed the next two at the same distance. The gun fired to the left on the first, and left+high on the second miss.

The gun was cleaned less than 30 shots before, it has a new silencer and a new scope. The mounts are perfectly tight and there's no play in the gun. Most of my rabbit shooting is done by night from the jeep as I drive silage fields etc but I was on foot shooting off the sticks last night, & I know what yer going to think, I just can't shoot for sh#t off the sticks but I printed off targets this evening and fired a lash of shots, it was scattered all over a 6" circle! I did have a few misses while out a few nights but just put it down to me maybe rushing the shots a little or whatever...

I'm getting a few boxes of differnt bullets tomorrow to see what the story is with them but my original question stands, is it wrong to shoot "long rifle" shots from a short barrell rifle?

Apologies, I know it's long winded.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭German pointer

LR means long rifle which refers to the size of the case not the length of the barrel and are suitable for all barrel lenghts including pistols. If it's a different round then you are used to maybe your gun doesn't like them as you are planning get a few different rounds ant try them to se witch one suits and in the meantime you could check all scope and ring mounting screws and the moderator again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I'm sure everything is fine and the inaccuracy is down to an external problem such as ammo, sights or shooting techniques.
    But based on your own admission about your lack of knowledge it is wise that you check the rifle and confirm that you have indeed a .22LR , this may seem a ridiculous piece of advice but it was not too long ago a post was put up in which an inexperienced shooter was sold the wrong ammo for the wrong gun, jt involved 22LR and WMR can't remember the exact details.
    Any how this information is stamped on the barrel and should clearly identify the
    Calibre.
    There are still guns on the market that are chambered for the 22 long and not 22LR.

Just another word of advice be careful as to what you commit to text as certain practices involving automobiles and fire arms are a no no

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

I'm going to set up a few targets this evening and I have a box of winchester subs and cci subs, I'm hoping it's as straight forward as the current bullet (Fiocchi) just not suiting the rifle. It is most definitely a .22 although the gun must be nearly 30yrs old now.

It's extremely frustrating!!

Kiltris wrote: »
    .... It is most definitely a .22 although the gun must be nearly 30yrs old now.......

They are all .22 calibre = BBs, Shorts, Long Rifle, Hornet, 223, 22-250, 220 and the 222. But each has a different case size, grain of bullet, performance etc.

So 100% ensure that the rifle is '0.22 Long Rifle'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

As the lads have said, 22LR is the chambering, nothing to do with the barrell length or anything else to do with the rifle.
    If it's a 22LR round then it's the right round.

If you've been using the CCI Quite-22, then you're using a 22LR round. It's just got a smaller charge so the report is quieter but the projectile is also slower, hence more wind affected and will drop more than other rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Check the simple stuff first - scope on nice and tight, mod on tight as well.

I'm suspecting a moderator issue. Remove the mod, try 5 shots on paper for grouping and repeat with mod on. make sure the mod is good and tight, and also check the cap on the top of the mod - where the bullets come out, they can be loose - nearly drove me to distraction one evening with a similar issue and the cap was loose.

At what distance would you zero it at? I'm told if it's on at 25yards, it will be 2" high at 50yards & should be back on at 70ish yards again. Is that right or wrong? I've always just set it at 50 yards & worked from there as most of my shots would be at that distance. Is 50 yards suitable for this exercise though or will I shorten it up to 40?

You should zero for the distance your most likely to hunt at.
    I zero at 50 yards and this gives me a 1/4 inch high at 25 yards and 2 1/2 inch low at 75 yards which suits me. This IMO is perfect for head shots for close in and out to approx 70 yards as I can aim dead onto a rabbits head and land a kill shot (if I do my bit).
    Close in zeroing is good for getting on paper but confirmation should be done at the actual range zeroed for. Measure out your distance using proper measurements as its very easy to misjudge paces etc.
    Night shooting under a lamp can make judging distance more difficult and at distance with a 22 every yard or metre counts. A zero at 50 yards with subs has an approx drop of 7 1/2 inches at 100 yards. A 10mph cross wind will push a 22 approx 2 1/2 inches off point of aim at 75 yards. Put rounds on paper at various distance and conditions, try using rabbit shaped targets to help you judge distance and hold overs.

Thanks, all this help is much appreciated.

Well my .22lr doesn't like fiocchi subs!

Eley subs all the way...

• Advertisement
Advertisement