Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook email

Options
  • 24-06-2015 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all

I'm not sure if this is in the right place and I'm probably grasping at straws but if anyone has any ideas, Please let me know!

So today in work, I found a really important email that was received one month ago that was opened but never responded to nor printed off and filed which is procedure. There was only two of us in the office on the day it was received and I am 100% sure that I didn't open it. We use Outlook and I have my settings that the email has to be double clicked and it opens in a new window. My colleague has a viewing pane in her emails so one click and the email opens in the same window. Also I've noticed on numerous occasions that she will open an email, read it and then mark it as unread if she doesn't want to deal with it. She is constantly making mistakes and blaming them on other people and it is doing my head in that she gets away with it so often. I really want to know if there anyway to check which computer opened that email so I don't get the blame. I realise this is beyond a long shot but I'll never know if I don't ask.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

veghead wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm not sure if this is in the right place and I'm probably grasping at straws but if anyone has any ideas, Please let me know!

So today in work, I found a really important email that was received one month ago that was opened but never responded to nor printed off and filed which is procedure. There was only two of us in the office on the day it was received and I am 100% sure that I didn't open it. We use Outlook and I have my settings that the email has to be double clicked and it opens in a new window. My colleague has a viewing pane in her emails so one click and the email opens in the same window. Also I've noticed on numerous occasions that she will open an email, read it and then mark it as unread if she doesn't want to deal with it. She is constantly making mistakes and blaming them on other people and it is doing my head in that she gets away with it so often. I really want to know if there anyway to check which computer opened that email so I don't get the blame. I realise this is beyond a long shot but I'll never know if I don't ask.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Do ye both have access to the same inbox then?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 veghead

Yeah we both have access to the email account but on different computers.

Yeah we both have access to the email account but on different computers.

Unless the original email was edited in some way it might prove difficult. Maybe someone else on here with more knowledge might know better though.

I'm think your right but I'll hold out hope a little longer.

Thanks for the response Mordeith!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I would guess that both your PCs were connected to a router performing NAT, so any contact between your PCs and a server (e.g. of outlook) would appear to have been from the same external, routable IP address

• Advertisement

That just confused the hell out of me, lol.. But I think I got the gist of it.

I just hate people who won't take responsibility for their own crap, but I'll just have to be more vigilant in future so that I'm not left in this position again.

Thanks Bonzodog2.

That just confused the hell out of me, lol.. But I think I got the gist of it.

I just hate people who won't take responsibility for their own crap, but I'll just have to be more vigilant in future so that I'm not left in this position again.

Thanks Bonzodog2.

Could you talk to your boss about the way the emails are handled. From a general point of view if seems bad practice to have two seperate people answering one address. Stuff is bound to fall through the cracks (intentional or not)

I have tried in the past, as this happened a lot before I started working in the place and unfortunately, the girl I replaced seemed to be the one to get the blame. I'm only there a year and everyone else has been there for 5+ years and are against any form of change, too set in their ways. It took me six months to convince them to let me change to a cheaper paper supplier so I cant see them implementing any change that might be more efficient. To be honest, I probably wont stay there much longer and start looking elsewhere soon, I have no patience for laziness.

I might try and broach the subject again though in light of this cock-up as they might be more open to suggestions considering this will damage their reputation with the client.

Thanks again Mordeith.

Advertisement