Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where's Cortana ?

• 24-06-2015 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

I'm a big fan of windows phone and am aware of being able to access Cortana by adjusting our regional settings but with news that France and Germany are getting her how come we're being left behind ?

Now I might be wrong but microsofts Irish site lists her as available but can't find it anywhere. If it's possible to get local Cortana I'd be grateful to find out ! If not - any release date announced?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

If your Windows Phone is update to date and running 8.1 Update 1, you'll have to set your region to the UK to get Cortana as it's not available for Ireland yet.

The only issue with this is that you'll be seeing the UK store and not the Irish version so the recommended apps, popular apps, etc will look a bit different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

theothernt wrote: »
    If your Windows Phone is update to date and running 8.1 Update 1, you'll have to set your region to the UK to get Cortana as it's not available for Ireland yet.

The only issue with this is that you'll be seeing the UK store and not the Irish version so the recommended apps, popular apps, etc will look a bit different.
    ... and Cortana will sound very British and posh, not like the Jen Taylor-voiced one the US gets (with much more personality, and using the voice actress from the Halo games).

It's very useful and provides lots of useful info for Ireland even though not officially available here (Weather, traffic, local suggestions for food / entertainment / things to see, flight tracking, Reminders based on person, place or time, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

... and Cortana will sound very British and posh, not like the Jen Taylor-voiced one the US gets (with much more personality, and using the voice actress from the Halo games).
    Interesting question - who would you like the Irish Cortana to sound like?

I've corrected Cortana's pronounciation of my name, but "she" has never called me by name - I imagine that she would need it if reading out a text when I was driving, but does she call users by name in some cases?

Bayberry wrote: »
    Interesting question - who would you like the Irish Cortana to sound like?

I've corrected Cortana's pronounciation of my name, but "she" has never called me by name - I imagine that she would need it if reading out a text when I was driving, but does she call users by name in some cases?

I'd like a choice between US and UK voice. Some may prefer the UK one, but the connection to the Cortana from Halo and the fact that there is more personality in the US voice would mean I would choose that one.

'She' never uses my name, but in answering queries or the 'chattter' options the voice deliver is much, much better. Generally not mechanical and monotone like the UK one, or Siri or Google Now.

That said, the male Siri voice in UK and Ireland is better at delivering lines than the original US one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Blut2

theothernt wrote: »

When I set my phone to UK it seems to default all numbers to +44, ie +4486 123456, if I try to dial them as 086 123456. Is there any way around this? I'd rather not have to deal +353 before everything.

• Advertisement

Blut2 wrote: »
    When I set my phone to UK it seems to default all numbers to +44, ie +4486 123456, if I try to dial them as 086 123456. Is there any way around this? I'd rather not have to deal +353 before everything.
    Yep. Go into Settings > Phone and switch off International Assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Here's hoping they get around to working with us. Siri is pretty good at understanding my accent however Cortana seems to have a personality about her - would really like to have her with a Windows 10 flagship.

And an official Youtube App/Bank of Ireland App..though these two are highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Tubecast is an excellent youtube replacement, casts pretty well via DVLA to my tv too....
    Also Metrotube and Mytube....

Advertisement